The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Ball joint boots...

Romanova

Any tricks for installing these without destroying them? Got the new Moog joint in along with the clip... just cant seem to get the boot on. Any tips would be appreciated.

Terry Posten

All the boots I ever installed just simply popped down on.

What is going on that is causing you issues?

If the boot wont pop down over the body of the joint, use a socket or wrench that just barely fits over the pin and push it down as far as it will go so that the boot is ballooning out in the middle. Then use a right angle pick and slide it under the bottom of the boot. work it around the best you can so that the ballooning rubber will force the boot onto the body of the joint.

galant344

is there anywhere where we can buy lower ball joint boots with out the ball joints? I really need some new boots.

SmoothCustomer

Vice grips. Pick a side to clamp down and then just sort of work it all the way around. Be careful, because you can tear the boot fairly easily this way.

Terry Posten

Quoting galant344:
is there anywhere where we can buy lower ball joint boots with out the ball joints? I really need some new boots.

I had a friend in the parts biz break open a box and give me a boot once and he just returned the part as missing items. (not really a great thing to do but).

Energy Suspension sells boots.

Terry Posten

click

Look at this page.

jepherz

Staff member
Use a piece of pipe or a large socket so press evenly around the entire boot.

If you have OEM style boots, you can buy the boots directly from a dealer (JNZ, mitsubishiparts.net, etc.) If you replace them with the generic style boots, they don't seal as well.

Specter

To take the opportunity of this thread, i would like to ask why do boots tear up in the first place? Even if they are freshly installed they tear in matter of days. Am i buying low quality boots or something else is the problem?

galant344

I broke my boots from the countless times taking the trans out and not having good hammer skills. basically missed my target, on both sides lol, and hit the boots a few times. which really sucks b/c i got the car w/ brand new lower control arms and i've only put 9k miles on the car in almost 4 years that ive owned it.

Thanks for the link Terry i will be ordering these today. I have my car all apart and the front subframe is out of the car i am installing all new bushings removing a lot of things from the car and hoping to get it back on the road this year w/ a junk engine from my talon.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I took a pvc coupling of the closet diameter, then sanded the inside diameter edge smooth. It fits perfectly down over the boot. One or two taps with the hammer and its on.

May sound like work, but I have probably used it on 10-12 boot installations over the last two years (4 Mitsus in the fleet). I have been campaiging these on all my cars.

jepherz

Staff member
Quoting Specter:
To take the opportunity of this thread, i would like to ask why do boots tear up in the first place? Even if they are freshly installed they tear in matter of days. Am i buying low quality boots or something else is the problem?

I've never had a boot tear within days. Usually they just dry out, so quality could matter. Once they dry out and are still cycled through different positions, they will eventually crack and tear.

mikus

^ i never could get the socket method to work, but did have luck working it on with the vice grip (or pliers)) the PVC pipe thing sounds perfect for the task.

Romanova

The MOOG boots just don't seem very sturdy. I'll try some of the methods mentioned and see if I get better results.

Thanks!!!

ohmegamike

Bringing this post back from the dead... I just ruined a brand new Moog lower ball joint boot. I expected the boot to go all the way down around the portion of the ball joint where the C clip attaches. Other ball joints I have installed (non-Moog) have boots that go on like this. I tried installing the Moog boot using a perfect diameter piece of PVC pipe. I didn't work. I'm 99% certain these Moog boots are meant to just sit on top of the "step" just above the area where the C clip attaches. I measured the diameter of the step where the boot should sit, it is 1.375" and the lower area where the C clip goes is 1.560. When I measure the ID of the boot I get about 1.370" (kind of hard to measure rubber, but there's no way this boot is gonna open up to the 1.560" diameter!

So the Moog boot just "sits" on top of the ball joint, on the step that keeps it up and off the lower control arm. It makes sense.

Now, I am trying to figure out a solution, since I already ruined the boot trying to install it. I'm about 99% certain I can use the Energy Suspension outer tie rod boots I have laying around. These things will last a hell of a lot longer than the rubber boots anyway! It appears to be a perfect fit too! Anyone ever use these with success?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned