The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

anywhere to buy evo caliper adapters that isnt trying to rape you?

IncorpoRatedX

all i'd like to pick up is a set of the L adapters to bolt evo calipers onto 1g/vr4, the simple L bracket with 4 holes in it.

But a lot of people want over $100 for these things, which is asinine. Unless there's a place to buy these for around $40-50, im going to have my friend start making them at work and i'll sell them for 40/50 a pair or less, since there is hardly anything in materials /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

curtis

This is a prime example why there not alot of stuff made for DSM's/VR4's. That l bracket is actually a square when it started life and has a good amount of waste.

So you want a set of brackets for 40 bucks. 7 to 10 of that is shipping then a 1/2 inch thick piece of aluminum is needed but not bar stock which is cheaper but a 1/2 in thick billet that's 12 x 12 inches for example. And 1/2 inch is probably to small 5/8 or 3/4 maybe needed. The brackets Ron had made by his buddy are exactly 1 inch so started life as probably 1.250. No one sells little pieces and if they do you paying the price. I just did an online search and 6061T6 is $58 for a 12 x 12 square .500 thick and $134 for 1.250 12 x 12.

click me

So you can get maybe 3 sets out of that. Just guessing. So lets say three sets now are sold. So far the builder is out 58 bucks and 40 in shipping to get you and 2 others there parts. Thats $98. So to sell you and your buddy and his buddy a set of brackets for 40 he's only made 22 dollars not counting his light bill to run the shop, mill time and or saws and not forgetting coolant for the mill and saw blades or any saw he's used to cut the pieces down smaller to fit in the vice, any finishing he does, bead blasting, paint or anodizing, end mills for the mill, payments on the mill if he has any and if he's only selling a hand full of parts to a few every now and again his mill damn sure isn't paid for. Oh but I forgort he can vacuum up the scraps and same the waste and get $.65 at the metal recycler but I forgot that 3 dollars he made was spent in wear and tear and gas for his truck/car.

My wifes cousin had a small shop in Atlanta with a large machine center he leased new. His lease on just the machine was 20K a month, he made a good living but had the thing running at least 18 hours a day everyday for over 5 years. When he got sick of killing himself and not having a life he quit and got a job. The mill got turned in but it had so many hours on it he had to pay 75K to get out of the lease.

Last time I bought endmills I spent right at 1000 dollars and could hold all of them in one hand.

Most of the custom parts you see pop up on the forums are built by guys that work in Fab/machine shops and there using scraps from there bins to build there parts. Nothing wrong with using a drop from a larger part but 90% I'm sure aren't buying the metal all your paying is shipping and there time to use there bosses stuff just like your buddy will be doing I'm sure.

Now for you that don't know to get a part made someone has to design it, draw it, do a prototype run and test fitment then go into production unless its a one off then they do it test and its done. Some times jigs have to be drawn and designed to hold the blank to go into productions for odd shaped or delicate pieces that can't be clamped. If its something simple thats what happens but important things have to go through analysis, stress, strain, FEA software needs to be run etc. Most industrial machine shops charge big for this around here drawing up something after you take them the measurements is $125 for a simple widget complicated things with partial arches, steps etc are way more. Then there set-up time on the mill minimum of one hour then running the part minimum one hour so to go into a shop and say I need a brake bracket set made would probably be 125 to 150 just because one off bs is a pain in the ass. If you want a production run the prototype is going to be around 400 just so if you back out they'll still make something for wasting there time. Then they'll charge you per set of around 60 or more for less than 50 then 50 to 100 is a price etc.

The jig I use to make the gauge panel I sell on here I cut from a 6061 block and allows me to slide it in close it and lock into position the I run 3 different programs unless its has the serial port then its 5. The jig took 4 days to design and cut to get perfect but alot of that was just manual cutting measuring and not alot of code was run.

So before you start bashing on the builder and what he charges remember what it cost him to build your part and stay in business.

Whoodoo

Curtis is soooooo right. I loved using the machine shop at school making parts for myself, and the only parts I've made and sold to others was a few short shifters which I barely made any profit on. I think its one of those things where you can't know all of what goes into something until you actually watch the entire process or do it yourself.

The only way I think you may be able to get some brackets for that cheap is if you do all the legwork yourself. Design it, get it into a computer, get the material, and only have the machine shop do as little as possible. Even still you'd be spending more than $50 as material is that much.

toybreaker

iconoclast
Damn, Curtis, that's one of the longest posts you've ever made.

You're so riled up you're measuring in standard units. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Thing is, just like always, you're spot on.

Josh, I know it seems like you could just knock these out in a few minutes, but listen to Curtis on this one.

Unless you're making things out of spare erector set parts, working with fisher price tooling, and paying youself nothing, it's going to cost real money to make a safe product.

The fatigue and thermal cycles brake components "see" in service requires premium materials, and a well thought out design with generous radius's and threaded inserts. You can't just thread a bolt in single shear into an "L" shaped piece of aluminum and expect it to live a long service life.

Any modifications to the factory set-up have to be bombproof, as brakes are a zero failure system.

Last edited:

jepherz

Staff member
Yup, I agree with curtis. That, and some parts for DSMs have been around long enough for China to copy them and sell on ebay. If you had a higher valued, newer car, you'd be paying hundreds for downpipes, not $125 shipped for a full header.

IncorpoRatedX

So they're stepped? if they are, disregard this post all together. I wasn't aware of that. Guess my thread should have been 'why the hell do they cost so much?'

RedTwo

You can run straight (non stepped) brackets but you just need to find discs that work with them...
I'm using S2000 front discs on 4 piston Skyline calipers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

BrandonEchols

Quoting 4thStroke:
Who's making the Evo Brembo brackets for the 1g/GVR4?

Click me

alansupra94

Quoting jepherz:
Yup, I agree with curtis. That, and some parts for DSMs have been around long enough for China to copy them and sell on ebay. If you had a higher valued, newer car, you'd be paying hundreds for downpipes, not $125 shipped for a full header.

Agreed...come over to supras

$1300 for a stock 6 speed LSD diff
$400 for a random technology DP

Don't even ask how much blocks and heads cost unless you can do custom work to the non turbo motors (lucky I can)

For caliper brackets you need good material...tell me what happens if the bracket breaks off

IncorpoRatedX

I had an 03 is300. I'm aware of "that" crowd.

alansupra94

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif "that" crowd

You make it seem like we are bad people :p

Last I remembered, IS300 come with VVT-I and weaker rods than the supra crowd but I don't see how it would be too hard to modify the IS300.

I have 3 2JZGE blocks that are going to be converted to GTE blocks. Fairly simple. Get a GTE oil pump (so you can mount a GTE crank sensor) and then drill and weld on a TT cam sensor. Throw in some TT pistons and *Emeril Voice* BAM you got yourself a GTE.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned