The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Anyone ever try seat dye for a worn side bloster?

I have a member who is willing to ship me part of the driver's seat. The thing is it is worn at the bolster, but there is no hole like there is on mine.

Does anyone know if I can really redye that area? It doesn't need to be perfect, but I don't want it coming off on the back of my shirt like shoe polish will.

I am not interested in dying the whole seat.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

4thStroke

I know that some dyes are only compatible with certain materials.

For instance: I tried to dye my headliner with black Rit dye. I let it sit for a while and when I went to rinse the dye out, all of it rinsed out. It didnt do anything to the fabric at all.

The Rit dye worked like a charm on the carpet, however. I went through 3 cycles and Im really happy with the results.

With that said, I highly doubt fabric dye will dye leather. You can give it a shot, though, you never know. It wont match that well but it sounds like it may be better than where its at now.

The nice thing about dye is that it actually penetrates the material and shouldnt rub off on anything unless it didnt get rinsed well enough. Stay away from fabric paint, that will rub off.

Good luck, let us know what you figure out.

I will give it a shot. There is leather dye all over fleabay. Thank you for your thoughts!

curtis

Go to a shoe store and get the liquid military boot die. I did a late 80's corvette once with a buddy. It was worn pimp red when we started and turned Black after two coats and months of being outside and used never wore off. He sold the car shortly after but didn't look any different. Something else to try is pull the seats and have suede put on the side bolsters any good upholstery shop can do it.

jepherz

Staff member
you can try regular black shoe polish too. I fixed up a few leather steering wheels with it.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned