The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

quest for rust freedom worth it?

Kibby

Eh so here we go again. I took off the side skirts and had minimal rust in that area front and back. Driver side had a spot in the back near the wheel well. The passenger side was a bit better which is where it gets weird. The driverside underbody is perfect but the passneger side has, I guess its a rubber undercoat, peeling back plus rust. In the rear seat floor area I can poke my finger thru into the car. In the front lower its minor surface rust but no pokey pokey. Is it worth saving this? Ive got time to let it sit and be worked on. Im thinking lifting it up on all sides, sanding it the underbody ,cutting out the rust and welding in new floor pans and recoating the underbody.I can't see this being too difficult. Anywhere the rust is underbody is the passenger side. The small rust spot is the driver rear side. Also is there anywhere else I should look for rust?

K...again cant seem to upload pics. Just wont load to the page. Will try later but advice is helpful.

G

Staff member
Scrap it. Save the headache & $.

Turbo99

Aw, don't scrap it. These cars are a dying breed as is. If it's fixable fix it. Sounds like it hasn't gotten too bad yet.

Kibby

Where that bolt is on the carpet is where the finger hole lol is under the car

Wookalar

Gonna cost some money to fix that correctly. Unless you feel like doing it yourself.

Kibby

I figure ill do it myself since ive put so many hours just to get it running right.

89Patches

Whats with VR4 guys being so scared of fixing rust? I honestly don't get it. Like most of the cars people scrap could easily be saved.

Like do you guy's not have any metal working skill at all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif? I just don't get it. The rust on the OP's car I could probably repair all the rust for $100

GSTwithPSI

Quoting 89Patches:
Whats with VR4 guys being so scared of fixing rust? I honestly don't get it. Like most of the cars people scrap could easily be saved.

Like do you guy's not have any metal working skill at all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif? I just don't get it. The rust on the OP's car I could probably repair all the rust for $100

Although I agree the OP could fix the areas in question without too much trouble, there's no way you could do the job right for $100 bucks. Sealant alone would run almost double that.

Kibby

Ive got time, money and if I sell my truck ill have a lot more money. I dont plan to keep this forever but I need it to last while I have it. Its a sort of ocd thing too. Hence why it took me almost 4 days to swap my chasis harness because I whiz wheeled every rusty nut and bolt I could get to. I need to buy some tools so I can start sanding the underbody and get a welder to put new metal in. Its a process but I may hold off til winter if its going to cause summer downtime. I want to take this car down the track this year and click off some 13's and if I can do 12's ill be happy and park it.

boostedinaz

Quoting 89Patches:

Most people dont posses the skills to fix rust correctly. When that happens they have to pay to have it fixed and that gets expensive.

As for your price quote I can only imagine the end result of that "repair". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned