The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

93 headlight glass on Jdm or regular headlights?

jogalant

Quoting prove_it:
Your not even showing or discussing Galant headlights. Your talking about projector lamps, the difference WILL be evident with that style. Glass prism lenses are completely different and not even a fair comparison.

Huh? The low beam throw on my Mitsubishi Galant-specific Eurospec Koito headlights which is the same as those used in the Philippines is exactly like the top picture. I use E code 90/100W H4 bulbs for the outer. They also came with a city light option btw but that's beside the point.

I was addressing Turbowop's post where he thought the first 2 pictures looked like they came from projector lamps. They don't. The second set of pictures are from projector lamps.

What do you mean I'm not discussing Galant headlights? Have you ever inspected a Eurospec (LHD) or Japanese spec Galant headlight? When you look at the outer lens of each you'll see how different they are from the 91-92 USDM lens and that they're mirror images of each other.

prove_it

You posted a bunch of pics of projector style lenses to make the point that JDM and USDM are different. Your attempting to point out that the JDM lenses are way way way different, but your comparing projector to the Galant style lenses to make your point. The pics you posted are irrelevant to the discussion of comparing GALANT lighting.

Yes, I see your point that in the case of projectors the cut-off line is vastly different. Not going to argue with that, but GALANTs don't have projectors so it's not a fair comparison.

Now if you had posted pics of the lighting from a JDM lense equipped GALANT and a USDM GALANT then it would be far more interesting to note. So in the end the lighting won't as dramatic as your posting it to be.

jogalant

I give up.

Slugsgomoo put it succinctly:

"You can't adjust the jdm light down far enough to mitigate the fact that the cutoff is in the right headlamp housing, not the left.

Even if you could, it would make the car look absolutely retarded. With the cutoff in the right housing, you also lose the ability to see things on the shoulder, which is the entire reason cutoffs are sloped the way they are."

Only retarded people use JDM headlamps here in the States, regardless of make. You not only do a disservice to yourself, you blind the f*** out of oncoming traffic and endanger lives. And if you claim you've managed to turn the screws of the headlamp low enough or to the right enough so as not to blind the oncoming driver, that's a half-assed way of dealing with something as important as proper night lighting.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why. Frankly, I'm surprised users of these which throw the beams the wrong way don't get a big FAIL come inspection time.

prove_it

I'm under the impression that our lamps don't have true cut-offs....

Both my factory lamps have the same light output, one isn't more cut-off than the other. Both shine light everywhere. In equal areas. I guess I don't get it?

We are discussing GVR4 lamps, not other makes.

prove_it

Brett, care to chime in? Perhaps a member with the JDM lamps will weigh in on this.

GSTwithPSI

The PO of 1837 installed HIDs in my JDM housings. I haven't changed them out, so that's how the car is currently configured. They are bright, but other than that, nothing about the way they look or perform really sways this conversation. I guess I'm THAT guy.

On 1813 however, I had JDM housings with the standard H4/H1 combo. From my experience, there's no real defined cut line or beam pattern as shown in the pictures above. The light is focused in a general direction, which was mainly determined by how my beam housings were adjusted.

I've never had a set of 93 housings, so I can't comment on the differences there. The difference between the JDM and USDM housings seemed negligible in all respects. There was no measurable difference of light output or beam pattern that I could tell. The utmost factor in light output was always the bulbs I used. Differences between the USDM/JDM housings didn't seem to affect light output.

misterfixit

THIS.....

Quoting jogalant:
LHD (EDM (except UK) Germany. Switzerland, Spain, Philippines, Korea etc.) low beam H4

20112d1045958789-hid-beam-pattern-problem-headlights-garage-resized.jpg

RHD (JDM, UK, Thailand, Taiwan etc) low beam H4

Dscf3788.jpg

using RHD lenses in LHD countries? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

curtis

Back to original question

93 US glass will fit on 92 housings 91 etc etc. Done it more times than I can count 93 glass will not fit on JDM headlights. The bottom of the light housing drops down below the bumper level on JDM stuff.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned