The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

93 headlight glass on Jdm or regular headlights?

CutlassJim

I have a pretty nice set of 93's but I'm looking to do a projector retrofit. Wanna trade with a little cash on top of your end?

slugsgomoo

the headlights before 93 have smooth insides and use the glass to focus the beam, whereas 93's have faceted reflectors to focus the beam with clear glass.

You'll get measurably decreased light output and likely dazzle other drivers if you put it on 92 or older housings.

JDM headlights in a LHD country just make you a supreme douche since you're blinding the f*** out of oncoming traffic, and other than being JDM and "looking cool" it does nothing but degrade lighting performance. So...

prove_it

What???

How do Jdm lights blind oncoming traffic? It's called an adjustment to the headlights. You can set the light output and adjust them appropriately.

Also how do JDM lights have LESS output than US? Jdm uses a slightly brighter bulb with similar glass prisms.

Last edited:

EHmotorsports

Most "JDM YO" headlights have the internal reflectors on the opposite side of the US. so even when adjusted they will still have light splitting off in different directions due to driving on the wrong side of the road.

slugsgomoo

You can't adjust the jdm light down far enough to mitigate the fact that the cutoff is in the right headlamp housing, not the left.

Even if you could, it would make the car look absolutely retarded. With the cutoff in the right housing, you also lose the ability to see things on the shoulder, which is the entire reason cutoffs are sloped the way they are.

89Patches

I notice no difference when I installed JDM lights in my car, Never been flashed by other on coming traffic either /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Also I see the shoulder the same way I did before with the USDM's.....

prove_it

I don't think anyone has ever spoken up about a poor light quality with JDM lights. In theory I see what you guys are saying, and your right. I think in the real world though it's not a huge issue.

By the way, isn't the 93 glass a lil different shape than the others, therefor preventing the fitment like the OP asked?

EHmotorsports

It may be a non issue with the Galants but it was a HUGE issue with my AE86 when i swapped the levin front end on.

turbowop

I'm sure it's different depending on cars. Regardless, still not nearly as annoying as HID's in reflector housings. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

EMX5636

I'm a big fan of the JDM/EDM lights. I love them in my car. Next would be stock USDM, and then the 93's. I just think they look too "clear/new" etc for the rest of our cars. Almost like Altezza tails on an old Honda or something.

G

Staff member
Yeah 93's look to ricy.

ApexHunter

The cutoff issue is significant. Not horrible, but significant. I've experienced it. I really prefer the aesthetics of the JDM lamps, but the decreased lighting performance is not worth it for me.

Quoting EMX5636:
I'm a big fan of the JDM/EDM lights. I love them in my car. Next would be stock USDM, and then the 93's. I just think they look too "clear/new" etc for the rest of our cars. Almost like Altezza tails on an old Honda or something.

My thoughts exactly.

jogalant

LHD (EDM (except UK) Germany. Switzerland, Spain, Philippines, Korea etc.) low beam H4

20112d1045958789-hid-beam-pattern-problem-headlights-garage-resized.jpg

RHD (JDM, UK, Thailand, Taiwan etc) low beam H4

Dscf3788.jpg

using RHD lenses in LHD countries? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Last edited:

turbowop

What kind of cars are in those pics? Those cutoffs look sharp like HID projectors. My Audi HIDs didn't even have that spray of light off to the right up high like that.

Are the JDM or USDM Galant lights actually like that? I've never really noticed either having such a nice, focused cutoff. They are much more washed out. It's just a reflector behind glass.

jogalant

LHD projector beam pattern:

onex-hid-cutoff-line-step-6-550x412.jpg

RHD projector beam pattern:

IMG_3357.jpg

The illustrations below show the new projector (LHD) and then the old Euro and JDM lights as we call it. Except for the US, Galants either came with euro or jdm lenses depending on where you lived. In my case i was able to buy a pair or LHD "euro" lenses from a guy here in Virginia who said he bought it from a guy who came from the Philippines, where they drive on the right side of the road like we do. USDM light patterns were for the most part a flat line from left to right. if there was a cutoff (the part where the beam starts to rise like the euro or jdm lights, it was hardly noticeable)

8fa09aa.jpg

Last edited:

prove_it

Your not even showing or discussing Galant headlights. Your talking about projector lamps, the difference WILL be evident with that style. Glass prism lenses are completely different and not even a fair comparison.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I think the point is that the different requirements for the headlights depending on the drive side will yield similar results. Even if not that evident or dramatic as with the newer headlight styles, the aiming will be biased the other direction and likely not able to be adjusted completely to be correct for rhd roads.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned