The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

93 Eagle Summit Wagon AWD project

Leon_R

Correct, they are just like a 2G rear breaks. I have no idea how anyone can adapt 1G/GVR4 rear brakes on one of these wagons... Unless they do lots of custom fabrication.

Mirageman, did your friend actually convert his wagon into rear discs? Were you able to remove a backing plate for him to use?

Leon_R

Quoting omertaitalia:
only thing i really want and would buy from overseas is that hood with the scoop, the spoiler is pretty cool but i can do without it.

You mean to tell me, you wouldn't want this front end?

IMG_0114.jpg

To go along with hood?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:

fuel

that's the '96-97 RVR Hyper Sports Gear which has a factory FMIC (evo1-3 size) and the obvious front bumper difference. They don't have the hood with the scoop like the '93-96 Super Sports Gear which has the top mounted intercooler. The Hyper Sports Gear also has the larger side skirts and rear wing, while the Super Sports Gear resembles the standard Sports Gear with alloy side steps and a smaller sized wing.

89Mirageman

Leon, I sold him the parts last year but I'm not sure if he ever installed them or not. I welded up a plate to fit 4 x 114.3 hubs to install on my snatcher. This way I can remove hubs at the junkyard without needing a press. I used this tool to snatch the hub out of the bearings and then unbolted the backing plate for him. His name is Rono and he's a member on 4g61t.org so feel free to pm him. He could either offer tips on the conversion or may even want to sell them if he never used them.

Quoting omertaitalia:
have you seen dude that turb'od his 64 using stock distributor?, he used a 4g15 distr. had it machined to match our cas and bolted it on, used his stock ecu. is this the best route to go. if you did it again what would you do.? use the 1g t/e/l harness to 1g t/e/l ecu and thats all?,it sounds easy but i know its not gonna be.do i need a galant transfer case and tranny?

That would be my van with the machined 4G15 distributor.
Its not installed yet because I'm finishing up body work/painting (caused by a F5 Tornado) and doing a 4G63T DOHC head swap with Delta cams, 775cc FIC high Impedance injectors, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

omertaitalia

ya i noticed that when you posted your cardomain link, nice work, also just curious what your body shop charged to just paint the bottom half of your van

I painted the bottom myself.

As far as the body work and paint being done now, a friend is doing it, his full time job is doing body work.

He owed me a favor for doing a turbo swap on his Cobalt SS turbo for him, so he is doing the body work and going to paint it in my shop over a 4 different weekends.

1st weekend was the roof which was the worse part basically a huge dent over the entire drivers side.(just did this last weekend)
2nd weekend the hood, which has a big dent in it and replace the drivers side fender, primer everything.
3rd weekend, tape the car up and clean the shop up.
4th weekend paint.

Leon_R

Quoting omertaitalia:
not a fan of that bumper at all, fuel any pics of previous vans?

Oh, and a non-functional hood scoop is better? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I like things that are OEM! Plus, it is very functional if you have a proper sized FMIC!

I'd rather have the bumper then the hood myself. I could stick and hide a HUGE IC in that sucker.

I looked in having the Hyper RVR bumper shipped, it was going to cost almost as much in shipping as a used bumper itself.

89Mirageman

Just wanted to bump this thread. Been digging around since I picked up another one of these wagons with rear discs and abs. Trying to see what I needed to do to swap it to 5 lug so that I could run my 16" 3000GT wheels on it. Looked at autozones site and the oem rear rotors are exactly the same as the 2g dsm ones except one is 4 lug and the other is 5. This leads me to believe that one could use the 2g dsm parts on their wagon (backing plate and calipers).

The fwd models have round rear hubs therefore they can be drilled to 5 x 114.3 while the awd's have a weird shaped hub that would have to stay 4 lug. Might be worth looking into.

omertaitalia

great info keep us posted, planning on swapping a 4g63 this week, also found a mitsubishi expo jdm rear spoiler on ebay for 110$ shipped from malaysia.

89Mirageman

I would check some local yards before shelling out $110. I saw an expo lrv sport a few years ago in the junkyard with the factory rear spoiler, it was a 1.8 wagon too.

89Mirageman

Pretty sure the hatches are the same between the short and long wheelbase wagons so it should fit fine.

Leon_R

Quoting 89Mirageman:
Just wanted to bump this thread. Been digging around since I picked up another one of these wagons with rear discs and abs. Trying to see what I needed to do to swap it to 5 lug so that I could run my 16" 3000GT wheels on it. Looked at autozones site and the oem rear rotors are exactly the same as the 2g dsm ones except one is 4 lug and the other is 5. This leads me to believe that one could use the 2g dsm parts on their wagon (backing plate and calipers).

The fwd models have round rear hubs therefore they can be drilled to 5 x 114.3 while the awd's have a weird shaped hub that would have to stay 4 lug. Might be worth looking into.

2G had very different rear bearings, so you can't use 2G hubs. I was going to ship a set of rear hubs for
NZ, but shipping alone was $100...

Think I will just machine the US hubs to make them 5 lugs.

89Mirageman

Not the hubs, the calipers and backing plates. Just buy rear rotors for one of these wagons with factory rear discs from the parts store and use the 2g dsm backing plates and calipers.

Leon_R

Summit started out having 10" rotors and single piston calipers. These are the same as "small DSM brakes", as found all 90-91 1Gs and 93-99 FWD DSMs. Those brakes work OK for light autox and even 150mph drag racing duty.

Since I am not planning exceed these types of racing, I do not really need to upgrade my braking capacity. But I would like to reduce the weight of my Summit and that is one potential area of weight loss opportunity.

Improving on weight these small brakes is not easy! Rotors weigh only 10.5lbs and calipers are 10.8lbs (with dust shields and hardware totals is 23.3bs). But I took on this challenge!

I already had a couple of old TCE/Wilwood brake kits with BSL calipers (only 6lbs each!!!) with matching 11.7 brackets. So all I needed was some lightweight rotors. Wilwood has some really nice 11.7 rotors (8x7” pattern), but they did not my TCE hats (8x7.625). Searching around, I found out old AEM rotor used 8X7 hats! And what is best, since those replacement rotors for AEM brakes are NLA, those can be found for little or no money!

Original AEM rotors are 12.3”x.95” thick and 15.5lbs! Substituting Wilwood rotors (11.7x.81” drilled), the weight is reduced to just 8.8lbs!

15630882_large.jpg

15630884_large.jpg

Total weight per corner: 15.1lbs That is 8.2lbs weight reduction over the “small brakes”!

Leon_R

Some latest photos after a winter of "fine-tuning" upgrades:

523246_10150845199268013_676258012_11774267_1294468454_n.jpg

New stance, about 1" lower than before.

577959_10150845214098013_676258012_11774319_1249573733_n.jpg

Newly cut front bumper cover showing the only hint something is going here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

536104_10150845209113013_676258012_11774298_211086650_n.jpg

EVO8 Tein camber plates.

389195_10150845202863013_676258012_11774278_310541120_n.jpg

Engine bay. Pretty standard DSM "go fast goodies". Upgrades include:

7cm^2 exhaust housing
Ported exhaust parts
38mm WG
Tubular O2 housing
New WB

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts