The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

93 Eagle Summit Wagon AWD project

Leon_R

If you want to weigh your car, you need to go to NED on the weekend /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif. That was the main reason why I attended last Import wars. My van was 3010lbs.

My guess is that your wagon is 100-150 lbs heavier.

Nice RX7! Though I would prefer a droptop /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

CutlassJim

Quoting Leon_R:
If you want to weigh your car, you need to go to NED on the weekend /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif. That was the main reason why I attended last Import wars. My van was 3010lbs.

My guess is that your wagon is 100-150 lbs heavier.

I weighed mine on a Wednesday street night. When I went the next Friday though the scale was closed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I can't believe that little thing only weighs 40lbs less than the 2G. My van must be a porker.

Quoting Leon_R:

Nice RX7! Though I would prefer a droptop /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Good thing you don't have to drive it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Leon_R

Quoting omertaitalia:
what does the wieght on your vin sticker state?

I am not sure, not that it matters, that is your total, loaded weight (5/7 passengers, luggage, full tank).

Jim, they almost never leave scale open on Wed. night. Must have been a left over from the track rental from the afternoon.

Leon_R

Well, my 3 door Summit was around 70-80 heavier (just shy of 3100 lbs) when stock. It dropped the weight after the swap because I removed:

Front bumper
Battery went from 40 to 16 lbs
AC system
EVAP system.

Also, before getting my Summit on the scale, I was hearing all sort of "stories" about it being around 2800lbs. Those weren't true, or people didn't mention some weigh savings. You really will just put yours on a scale to be sure (or get Jim to do it).

Last edited:

CutlassJim

Did the 3 doors with ABS also get the rear discs? I mentioned it before but my van and I'm assunging the 92 has a ride height based rear brake bias like the MightyD50's that I don't think the small ones do. I might have a work trip to J-pan coming up would you be interested in any RVR parts?

Leon_R

I wish my van had ABS... Not because of ABS, but because of rear disc that came with it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. And yes, 3 door vans had the same ABS/disc set up.

fuel

Quoting omertaitalia:
what rvr parts fit on our 7 passenger van? ive never really seen them.

The RVR is the JDM equivalent to the Expo LRV 4 door/4 seat vehicle. In Japan the 5 door/7 seater is the Chariot or the Nimbus in Australia. In Japan the Chariot also comes out as a 'GT' with the Evo1-3 7 bolt engine (detuned with 450cc injectors and TD04 turbo) and AWD. One of the RVRs I've owned had allow front lower control arms which looked to have the same mounting points as the E39A VR-4 but just being cast alloy instead of pressed steel. I've been meaning to get them side by side to see if there are any caster differences like between GVR-4 and 1G.

omertaitalia

i also saw that in europe it was sold as a hyundai,and in japan it was called the space wagon, i read a thread where a guy swapped out the rear disc brakes from a galant and put it on his expo, leon said its not possible but the thread i read was a 92 7pass. van and he said he just swapped it right out. have yet to see if its possible.

fuel

in Europe the 7 seater (Chariot) was named a Space Star while the 4 seater (RVR) is a Space Runner. The Space Wagon was C10 Mirage/Colt based, and then the Space Star name was later applied to a European only model built in the Netherlands which shared the same platform as the Volvo S40/V40 and Mitsubishi Carisma.

Old Top Gear video here - click

I'm trying to remember what the Hyundai version was called, but they were sold in such small numbers in comparison to the Mitsubishi counterparts.

Leon_R

In Korea, they have a LOT of Hyundai' Space Wagons!

I would LOVE to get my hands on RVR Sportgear:

- seats
- 5 lugs hubs
- rear discs
- rear LSD
- hood

Just to name a few /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

But I see no economical way of doing this. There is a guy who is parting one out in Australia, he was willing to ship the rear hubs to US, but shipping would have $250!!!

Last edited:

fuel

Quoting Leon_R:
In Korea, they have a LOT of Hyundai' Space Wagons!

I would LOVE to get my hands on RVR Sportgear:

- seats
- 5 lugs hubs
- rear discs
- rear LSD
- hood

Just to name a few /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

But I see no economical way of doing this. There is a guy who is parting one out in Australia, he was willing to ship the rear hubs to US, but shipping would have $250!!!

But is

That's the Super Sports Gear, the Hyper Sports gear has a front mount intercooler and different bodykit and the MT versions get the TD05 with large compressor housing. The regular Sports Gear is non-turbo without an LSD and vented hood but does have 5 stud bits and nicer seats.

I've owned a '91 RVR-R 6-bolt/4-lug 5spd, a '92 RVR-X 6-bolt/4-lug auto and a '93 RVR Sports Gear 7-bolt/5-lug 5spd.

Leon_R

Quoting omertaitalia:
the hyudai was sand sumin cant remember either
edit:hyundai santamo

Whatever they were called, they were ALL OVER the place! Including being used as cabs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

89Mirageman

There was a 5 door awd auto wagon at the local junkyard with abs/rear discs but I already pulled them for another guy. To me they looked very similar to 2g dsm parts or 94-98 galants. The backing plate holds the caliper on and the rotor has a hat with small shoes in it for the ebrake. There is a 94 Galant GS at this same yard if someone can verify they will fit I can grab them. I can tell you for sure that you have to press the rear hubs out to get the backing plates off. On the awd's of course.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned