The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

560cc injectors 16g 2g maf q's

Alright guys I'm sure I'm beating a dead horse here but I've been looking for a clear answer for like 2 days lol. My gvr4 is mostly stock. I recently put in the big 16g and I have a 2g maf im going to wire in and some 560cc injectors I got from a friend. From what I've read you can run all the above without a translator. So the question is 1) can I do this safely and 2) am I stuck running stock boost or can I safely turn it up? Also just installed aem wideband.

SSGdave

you can, but it wont be optimal and would advise aganst doing it with out a custom E-prom or some type of logging and tuneing device/s

transparentdsm

no you can not do it safely.

you need a tuning device. its a crap-shoot without one. you can put the turbo in and maybe see 13-14 psi before you hit fuel-cut, but that is it. also you will need to re-wire your fuel pump before even thinking about adding injectors or a tuning device. the wideband is a good install, but it doesn't tune the car for you it just tells you what Air/Fuel mixtures the car is seeing, so as of right now its useless as the car is running off the stock ecu/tune and there is no way to change it even if it isn't running the right A/F ratios.

Last edited:

LIV4PSI

Translator is for the GM MAF. You need a safc at the minimum to compensate for the injectors and different MAF.

Last edited:

Tommyd

Sent ya a pm. I have a Keydiver chip laying around tuned specifically for what ya need.

LIV4PSI

Another great example of why the .org is so awesome. I hope all the kids on FB never figure it out

JCorbo25

To answer your question: Yes, you can run it like that but it's a crap shoot (~10% increase in air, ~10% increase in injectors). I would not turn up the boost beyond stock until you can monitor something.

ECMLink or Keydriver chip would be a good start, wideband, and possibly a good manual boost controller.

Awesome guys thanks for the input that answers a lot of questions. For now I'll Just keep it on the stock boost, I think my buddy has an old wali 190 lying around so I guess I'll look into the fuel pump rewire, I'm sure I'll find something on vfaq. I've already got a hallman Boost controller just didn't know if I could Use it in my current setup. I plan on looking into the keydiver Chip though, do I need a socketed ecu for that? Anything else I might need?

Last edited:

LIV4PSI

Yes, you need a socketed EPROM

Spyke169

Nothing against using a chip, and if that's all you want is set it and forget it, go for it! Personally I understand wanting to get it all set up right but not wanted to spend a ton of money. Don't get me wrong and I don't want this to turn into a one turning method against another one thread. I admire everything that can be done with Link and the ease of use.

Just another option I want to throw out there. I use Tuner Pro and Moates Ostrich. After researching options I settled on it and to get me started I used this website. click plug in what you need and it spits out a .bin file that can be used. Very easy to get a very basic set up for the Ostrich and then if you wanted later down the road you can look into the other things that can be done with the factory code. Just a heads up beyond the basic code that is provided by that website, the learning curve is pretty steep.

Like I said, don't want to turn this into a one tuning option vs. another thread, but wanted to throw out another option that can do more than a piggy back system and may cost a less than other options.

BpuVR4

i have the same setup on a evo 3, and still using dinosaur safc technology...i feel like it's working fine (won't know for sure until next tune). if you don't get the chip this could be another cheap option for you, but if i had this car from the beginning, i'd start with the chip.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned