The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

2g maf honeycomb

Captn

So I tried to search and found a site that didn't work wondering if anyone could help me out. I have a 2g maf but the center honeycomb is missing... I have read that this cannot be used, I am wondering if the stock maf honeycomb will fit or if I can use the 2g one without the center honeycomb(it has the sides and the bottom). Let me know! Again I tried to search!

gramkrakr89

When I bought my car, it had a 2G maf running DSM-link. While trying to squeeze more and more power out of it (1000cc injectors, 60-1 turbo) one day, during a street pull, the car fell flat and completely died... The center honeycomb in the MAF had collapsed and got sucked in and stuck across the metering apparatus (luckily it didn't make it to the turbo!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I promptly removed it, examined everything for other damage, started it right back up and drove it home with no problems - I ran it that way for quite a while after that, with only a marginal difference in smoothness (The ECU heavily smooths out the airflow signal anyway, so the difference wasn't at all bad)

You can definitely still use your honeycombless MAF, your tune will only be slightly different to compensate for the more turbulent airflow through the meter, and the lack of restriction that the honeycomb creates.

At the very least, your car will still run with it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

gramkrakr89

This is assuming that the MAF itself is still good. The Karman Vortex type meter that DSM's use are very responsive, but also sensitive (delicate). Hope all is well with yours.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned