The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

504/2000 Restoration project and 2 other VR4. Why do I love these cars!!

bobdole

Finished up the front and battary area. No just waiting on the sand plaster/powder coater to finish.

And removed the stock downpipe:

What did your process look like to get it from rusty bucket to this immaculate state tools,supplies process etc very impressive.

bobdole

I started by pressure washing the undercarriage and cleaning with Simple Green. Then did some heavy sanding. I also used a wire brush and a wire wheel. Then did 2 coats of Rust Bullet and covered with rubberized undercoating. I replaced alot of parts. I also had alot of parts sand plasted and powder coated.

G

Staff member
looks good!

Quoting bobdole:
I started by pressure washing the undercarriage and cleaning with Simple Green. Then did some heavy sanding. I also used a wire brush and a wire wheel. Then did 2 coats of Rust Bullet and covered with rubberized undercoating. I replaced alot of parts. I also had alot of parts sand plasted and powder coated.

Thanks I think I will be trying to get some of this done soon on my car its not too bad but winter will be here soon..

Last edited by a moderator:

bobdole

Update. Got alot of stuff back from the sand plaster/powder coat.

Started putting the front end back together.

Front bumper support:

Front light brackets

Exhaust heat shield

Battary tray:

Intake box:

Fan braket:

Bolted a few stuff back.

Last edited:

bobdole

Had a bad exhaust leak too.

bobdole

Started to put the front bumper back together.

bobdole

Mounted all the intercooler piping. All except the one between the throttle body and bov. Got to find one.

Last edited:

bobdole

Couple updates. Installed the heat shield under the car. Started on the welding but had to stop. I did cut all the rust away on the fenders.

Last edited:

bobdole

Update:

Got more parts in from Mitsubishi.

Brake dust shields, New Rad hoses and gaskets for the front bumper lights.

fo9AnH.jpg

ix6QXT.jpg

s3vFnD.jpg

RgDISp.jpg

a5y6UA.jpg

Worked more on the welding:
NdVj1s.jpg

YlSwxv.jpg

fNAyCq.jpg

OqDg0b.jpg

VBvOmw.jpg

OPUaQD.jpg

89wkL9.jpg

Also took of the side skirts to check for more rust and they look great. So should be good.

nlIINz.jpg

q30FEE.jpg

Once the welding is complete then I can paint with the Rust Bullet and undercoat.
Also the sways are on there way. So I can put the rear suspension back up.

Last edited:

Whoodoo

You should really be cleaning more before you weld. Weld on rust, you get rust in the weld and no matter how much rust bullet you put on there, it will still be there. This means it will rust out sooner in that same spot. How soon is another question, but it will happen.

Good on you for getting your hands dirty though

SouthCaliVR4

I have used a product called rust mort. Auto paint store's can get order it or it may be available online these days. This can be thinned with water & sprayed into cavities to stop rust & leave a protective coating that will stop it from rusting further. I have used it with great success when replacing panels & wanting to protect the backsides of welds I didn't have good access to. My method was to thin according to directions then use a garden sprayer on wide mist to get back into tight spots & blind cavities. Use it to excess & the metal will not rot from the inside out.

Great job so far Mr. Dole. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif That was some exhuast leak. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

bobdole

Quoting Whoodoo:
You should really be cleaning more before you weld. Weld on rust, you get rust in the weld and no matter how much rust bullet you put on there, it will still be there. This means it will rust out sooner in that same spot. How soon is another question, but it will happen.

Good on you for getting your hands dirty though

I cut back until it was solid metal. Didn't weld on rust. Also it was a tough job welding in that location.

Whoodoo

I hear ya, welding in awkward places is a real pain. However, even just the slightest bit of contaminant getting into your weld will cause more metal to oxidize, so you need to have everything absolutely clean before you start.

For my senior project, my group designed and built a log splitter. For a stronger blade on the wedge, I built up weld beads and then ground it down. Before I started, I didn't get the two pieces of steel making up the V clean enough and it made the biggest headache of all time. The first bead I ran got contaminated, then I was chasing it around layer after layer. Often times it got so bad I had to grind it all off and hopefully find a clean layer to start on again.

Welding is like painting in that, in order to get a good finished product you need to prep well.

Regardless, I have a lot of respect for you for doing it yourself. I'm sure having good solid metal there is a huge improvement over what it was. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

bobdole

Thanks Whoodoo. I will keep my eye on that area. Check it from time to time. This is my first time dealing with rust. I won't buy a car again with out seeing it in person. Lesson learned. But I am enjoying working on the car. But I don't think it is that bad compared to other cars I have seen.

bobdole

Swaybars showed up 2 months waiting. Should be able to get alot of stuff done this weekend.

mF86Cg.jpg

Mte5Bm.jpg

Last edited:

bobdole

Got alot done. Finished all the welding. I am happy how it turned out. Installed the rear end, Brakes and drive shaft. Still got to but fluid in rear end and hook up all the rear steering lines.

Before:
65wQG8.jpg

After:
Twwrhv.jpg

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned