The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

5 lug swap help

LIV4PSI

Buy 5 lug hubs from a DSM. Buy 5x114 rims. Done. Front hubs can be from a FWD car, rear hubs need to be from a AWD car obviously.

turbowop

You don't have to lose ABS. I retained mine with a 5-lug swap. With the 5-lug swap, you will gain a much larger selection of wheels.

LIV4PSI

What's pointless is ABS on these cars. Its not a very good system, and many of us feel is does more harm than good.

And if you weren't doing it to change to a common bolt pattern for a better, cheaper selection of wheels, what did you plan to gain anyways? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif And you can still use cheap DSM steelies if you wanted, found at almost any junkyard.

Wop, curious as to why you chose to keep it? I knew it was possible, just not common.

Last edited:

turbowop

I kept it because it works, and because swapping to non-ABS the proper way would actually require more work. Retaining ABS is super easy with a 5-lug. Just get the correct ABS computer for cheap and flip-flop a couple of wires.

I realize the cons of an old 2-channel ABS system. I just figured I'd keep it going for now since it hasn't caused me any issues and because I don't really drive the car in the snow, which is where I usually hate ABS systems.

turbohf

my 5lug swap is still a little bit aways. but im not understanding how to retain ABS. i found a post, but seemed to be contradicting info and confusing?

so from what your saying is that i need the ABS computer from the car i get the hubs from, and swap a couple of wires? and im good to go?

turbowop

Basically, yes. There is a thread in the how-to section that explains it all. I actually used an ABS computer from a 3000gt VR4. Works great.

tektic

If you need it I have an abs computer and front knuckles from a 93 awd dsm. If I cant find fwd knuckles I may still be using them.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned