The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

5 lug swap question

coyotes

Ok so I will be swapping to 5 lug. I want to do the wheel bearings while I'm in there, but I have a question. I see an inner and an outer wheel bearing available to buy, are there two wheel bearings to replace on some corners? Also two wheel bearing seals? What should I buy to do my 5 lug swap?

Thanks

tektic

Inner and outer seals are necessary for the front. I think there's just one pressed in bearing.

coyotes

Thats what I thought also, but I have seen "inner" and "outer" wheel bearings at parts stores. Just making sure, I don't want to order unnecessary parts.

LIV4PSI

I'm almost positive there is an inner and an outer bearing on the rear. Definitely only one in the front

Chi271

I will be doing my 5 lug swap on #271 tomorrow. This might help... click

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting LIV4PSI:
I'm almost positive there is an inner and an outer bearing on the rear. Definitely only one in the front

Correct.

CBBOOST

For the front you will remove the hub, pull the inner seal off, press the spindle out of the hub, remove 1 large bearing from the spindle along with the outer seal.
So you need an inner and outer seal for each front wheel and one bearing for each side Koyo bearings would be the OEM replacement.

In the rear you will unbolt the axel from the hub, remove the large nut from the spindle shaft, pull the shaft out and remove two bearings and an outer seal per side.

The only other things to think about while doing that job are brakes and dust shields if they are rotted away.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned