The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

N00b question on 5 lug swap.

cupajoe

I found some 5 lug rims for dirt cheap but there 5 lug. I have a 91 dsm parts car so I'm thinking about picking them up and doing a 5 lug swap. My only concern is the front brake calipers. 91's don't have the big brake upgrade and our vr4 do. So will my front calipers still bolt up? or will I need to swap over the calipers also?

rgeier11

The calipers will bolt up. The pads are different however.

cupajoe

Thanks, I pulled the tire off just to get a good look and from what I can tell I wont be able to keep the aws if I swap out the rear hubs? For the people that keep aws with a 5 lug swap you guys have to press out the hub? and slide the 5 lug onto it?

cupajoe

In order to keep aws am I going to have to press the hub off to swap it? Because the hub has a bar connected to the frame but has the tab where the aws rack hooks up to it. And it seems to be all one peice so If I swapped that out there would be no tab to bolt the aws rack to. Or maybe Im not understanding...

img.php

Last edited:

cupajoe

Ok ok, after looking at some more threads, Im just pulling out the rear spindle and replacing it with the 5 lug spindle? Any special tools I'll need to pull out the rear spindle?

Last edited:

cupajoe

Alright I just looked at the rear hub on the dsm and looks like there is that same tab there to where I can just bolt the aws rack to. Is this how everyone else does it? or do you guys only swap out the spindles?

bazeng

spindles on mine!

There are a few threads on it already buddy.
I've posted up a bunch of pics on how I did mine.

I can't remember the name of the thread though...

Spindles only. I think there's a 21mm (don't really recall actual size) nut holding it in from the back of the hub.

cupajoe

Thank you very much for clarifying that for me. Guess I'll also be doing a abs delete sense he dsm doesnt have them.

jepherz

Staff member
The ABS parts can all be swapped over as well. You'll see the "gears" when you pull the rear spindle out.

Gimpin

you will need to upgrade to the larger rotors or the edge of the pad will hang off

H05TYL

Quoting bazeng:
spindles on mine!

There are a few threads on it already buddy.
I've posted up a bunch of pics on how I did mine.

I can't remember the name of the thread though...

I was looking at this just last night, I searched +5 +stud and user = bazeng and found it easily.

According to vfaq the nut is 27mm - I'm just in the process of removing my rear spindles (I'm getting them redrilled as GTO/diamante ones have proved hard to find) and got caught out by the lack of a 27mm socket in my toolbox /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts