The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1g shifter

rost

I've read that we can use a 1g t/e/l shifter on our galants.So i picked one up today at a junkyard.I was installing it and realised that it is somewhat different from the 1g shifters i seen in the posts here.I did install it and it seems to be working fine,much better that the galant shifter.The only question i have is,since the stopper sits much higher than the original and the linkage attachement point is higher,will it cause any trouble in the future?Or will it at all?Here is the pic.

tsiboy

are you sure its from a 1gb??

that looks like the cast shifters that came on the 1990 dsms

Whoodoo

There are significant differences between 90 shifters and 91+ shifters. You are correct in hearing a 1g TEL shifter will work, but be sure its from a post 90 car. What exactly are you looking to get out of putting in a different shifter?

Muskrat

That shifter is from a 1990 DSM. If it was in a later model car someone must have swapped it (for some reason, I don't know why they would)

The lever arm below the pivot on that shifter is shorter than stock, which INCREASES your throw and decreases shifter effort.

The lever arm above the pivot is shorter than stock, which DECREASES throw and increases shifter effort.

The overall effect is probably (but I can't confirm without actually knowing dimensions and doing some math) some decreased throw and some increased shift effort, however, some of the effect of shortening the upper lever is sacrificed due to the shorter lower lever.

On a 91-94 style shifter the lever arm below the pivot is the same as stock = no change. The lever arm above the pivot is shorter which decreases throw and increases shift effort. So you have a much greater effect on both throw decrease and effort increase.

Personally I didn't like the 1g shifter and made the 3000gt shifter that the P.O. had sloppily put on work correctly (it requres some work to make work, but I think it's the perfect shifter for our cars - slightly smaller upper lever and longer lower lever)

If you want to try out a 91+ I have a few and could send you one (with a decent boot if you want as well) $15 shipped for just the lever, $25 w/ boot.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned