The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

If the GVR4 is also a DSM what do you call the T/E/L?

Brian, I thought that joint venture extended to 1998, the year when the last Talon was sold.

raptorWagon

Quoting DR1665:

I believe the 1988 Galant VR4 was using the 4G63T and AWD.

1987* and yes the 6th gen Galants were the first to use the 4G63s.

+1 to 3/1000, far as I knew the dsm's extended to 98/99. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

jepherz

Staff member
I should hope it was still joint past '94. They were using Neon 420a's, were they not?

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
1996. After that (until the second aborted DaimlerChrysler days) it was 100% Mitsubishi owned.

DR1665

What iceman said.

DSM means Diamond Star Motors. After 1996, when DSM was dissolved, they were all made by Mitsubishi. We just call them DSMs because they're the same models. Funny thing about that, though. You could get a 97 Eclipse with a Chrysler 420A engine and nigh-indestructible New Venture Gear NV-T350 manual transmission. It was built by Mitsubishi. This same powertrain went into the Dodge Avenger and Chrysler Sebring. (And, with some very minor variations, the NEON.)

Now, those who would call a GVR4 a DSM just because it had the same engine as the Eclipse are using the same logic that would mean we could call the Sebring (or NEON) a DSM.

DSM was a company, not an engine-transmission combo.

The sooner people stop thinking about Galant VR4s as merely 4-door DSMs, the sooner we might start to see them being WORTH more than DSMs. Chew on that.

Last edited:

fivestardsm

Just to point out, the avengers also had a firewall tag that noted them as a "DSM" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts

Recent Classifieds Listings