The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1893 is down. again.

So the other day me and Faisal redid cyl. 4's valve seals (guess they were bad from the factory or something, but they were leaking since day 1 of the rebuild), and no more smoke! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif so then on saturday me and my buddy Hopko got bored and we were like "lets road trip up to flagstaff!" (about 2 hours north of where I am, about 5,000ft altitude difference). we head out, and about 50 miles after we left, he suddenly calls me from his car and goes "dude you just started smokin real bad", so I look behind me and damn! I'm smokin pretty heavy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif Looked at my gauges, I'm boosting at 10psi, but I'm slowing down, and my temp gauge is between the second black tick mark and the red. I get into the right lane, then push the clutch in to pull over, and the engine just dies almost instantly. I'm like "uhhhh that's not supposed to happen.". Started it up again to have the power steering and brakes to take the offramp coming up, and pulled over. As soon as I stopped, oil light comes on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif turned the car off instantly. Got out, noticed a crap ton of oil all over my exhaust pipe. on the OUTSIDE /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif popped the hood and found this:

3be8f8c6.jpg

1c49eb7e.jpg

Apparently she decided to take initiative and lube the timing belt with engine oil /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif Got her towed back to base, and took off the timing cover to see what happened to it. This is what we found:

1c121c12.jpg

26a901d7.jpg

879cff36.jpg

the oil pump seal decided it didn't need to be round, it should be oval instead! Faisal was all "WTF?" so I'm guessing it's not a normal thing :/ any ideas?

EDIT: title fail! lol, 1893, not 1983

Last edited by a moderator:

Diego

What the Fawk!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Could it have been your lower timing cover gasket split/cracked......

That is such a sad thing to see, really your lucky someone was behind you to warn you of this trouble, secondly, you could of had the belt come off and catastrophic failures could have happened with all that oil.

The oil pump shaft seal was totally ovaled out, and you can see on the left side of the oil pump shaft where it's actually marred the oil pump cover, that's metal damage on it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif which means the cost to fix is going to exceed my budget of $100 to get it on the road again, so she's gonna sit for a while

Last edited by a moderator:

TurboTrader

Is that a Topline front case? It is typical for the internal pump gear to eat into the rough inside casting on the pump and cause what you described. That looks like what happened perhaps.

AnotherNewb

Are you running balance shafts? If not what did you use for the oil pump shaft?

Quoting MadBeachDSM:
Is that a Topline front case? It is typical for the internal pump gear to eat into the rough inside casting on the pump and cause what you described. That looks like what happened perhaps.

I have no idea, lol, its whatever was on there before we rebuilt the motor. And yes, I do still have balance shafts in the motor

lol go figure, and yah, I dunno, stuff that never happens always seems to happen to me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif oh well, gives me an excuse to do a monster build! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

TRBODSM

Do you just need a new front case or did all that oil cause the t-belt to slip or cause more destruction somewhere else?

as far as i know just an oil pump case, and probably new oil pump internals /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif we found some small metal shards on the magnetic drain plug, and the oil was changed not even 300 miles previous to this event so I'm assuming something happened when it went dry. when i ran it before we took the T belt off it sounded fine though, so who knows? i don't trust it anymore though. Whenever I have some money (and feel like messing with it) I'll put it back together with a new oil pump and see how long it lasts, but I'll be building another motor on the side /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Quoting TRBODSM:
Do you just need a new front case or did all that oil cause the t-belt to slip or cause more destruction somewhere else?

The motor started up and idled fine. The belt did not skip.
This motor had 5k+ miles on it, so i am very surprised it did not happen earlier.
The oil pan will be dropped, and the rod bearings will be inspected, most likely replaced. They were ACL rod bearings.

Mike, this should have been posted in the general/technical discussions so if you could ask one of the mods to move it there.

I really would appreciate any suggestions as to the cause of this.

true, mods can this get moved to the technical discussions please? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

donniekak

I build lots of 4g63's, plenty of them are wiped out when i get them, this is an odd failure. I have a couple questions. What brand of front cover was used? Did you ever hear a whine from that area, or the timing belt in general? Can i come over and take a peek, when the cover is pulled?

Donnie: I'm not sure of the brand, as far as I know it's OEM, it was on the car when I bought it, and as far as I know it was never rebuilt before I blew it up the first time. It's up to Faisal but I have no issues with you checking it out too, I'm gonna take it out this weekend

FYI, i had to open up the front cover and replace that balance shaft. i had inspected the gears and they looked good. there was no side to side play when it was reassembled.
Donnie, it would be great if you can take the time to look at it.

donniekak

I would like to see it. I have seen stub shafts tear up the back of the pump, and even bolts back out of the balance shaft. But, this is the first time i have seen any problems with the driven gear assembly.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned