The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Thread sealers

vtecds1

I've looked all over the forum and could not find what sealer to use for my oil pressure sender. It leaked a couple of years back and I got it to stop, but now it decided to mess with me again. I've tried teflon tape but it's not helping at all. I did read a couple of threads in different forums but I got mixed results on what to use. Permatex #14 is on top of my list but I wanted to see what you guys recommend.

I'm also having problems with oil leaking on the turbo-oil return line flange. I've tried hylomar, copper washer and teflon tape on the bolt but without any good results.

Street Surgeon

Teflon tape WILL work if you put enough on, smooth the tape over the threads, and run the tape the right way so that the "flap" will tuck in and not go against the threads. You can also use this, this stuff, or even this. I've never had an issure with teflon tape

WaRrIoRs16

I used that permatex high temp thread sealant on the exhaust manifold stud that goes into the head where the oil passage is and I haven't seen any leaks from that. I've only had it going though for maybe 500 miles.

Street Surgeon

Quoting Street Surgeon:
Teflon tape WILL work if you put enough on, smooth the tape over the threads, and run the tape the right way so that the "flap" will tuck in and not go against the threads. You can also use this, this stuff, or even this. I've never had an issure with teflon tape

EDIT>>> As for the leak on your turbo oil return line, remove the oil pan, have a -10an bung welded onto an N/T oilpan, then get a -10an return line and forget all about those pesky leaks for good.

vtecds1

Thanks fellas. I picked up the Permatex #14 from Napa and 1 oil return line gasket from the dealer. As for welding the flange for the oil pan...that will be on my list to do in winter along with buying a new pan.

Just wanted to share that I ended up getting the sealant and gasket for free. The NAPA cashier overcharged me even though I had mentioned it after he took my $20. Once I got my change, I walked to the aisle where I got the product and I showed him the price. He then walked back to his register and gave me the difference after he realized that I was overcharged.

20 minutes later...I ended up at the Mitsu dealer to pick up the gasket. The guy at first tried to charge me $8.xx for 1 gasket and I told him that I called earlier and the price that was given was $3.67 . He then apologized and said he hit the wrong key. When I got my money out...I ended up having $23. I couldn't figure it out at first, but then I realized the guy in Napa gave me a $10 instead of a single. Looks like I'm on a roll...hopefully my luck will continue getting this oil leak fixed.

jepherz

Staff member
Assuming it's a tapered, pipe thread, regular teflon tape may work, but you should probably use something resistant to gas/oil in that case. You can buy the yellow tape in this case.

vtecds1

It's been awhile since I installed the sender, It's either npt or bspt. What is this yellow tape are you talking about so I can do some research on it.

Thanks...

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned