The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

181/1000 the half-a$$ rally car

mountaineerjeff

AAA FTW...my buddy has a 350 superduty and we talked about just bringing it with a car hauler and charging people to return their broken rides home, lol.

well let me know if I can help, or if ya need anything

mountaineerjeff

still havent found my cord yet, but I got a decent amount done today.go alot of the engine bay cleaned up and sorted out, finshed extending and tucking the headlight harness, then putting in all new bulbs.

seems like there may be some idle/air/vacuum/leak issues, but I havent gotten to take it for a spin yet, so some of it might just be the nature of the beast

mountaineerjeff

started refreshing my carbon hood. got to wait until monday to get supplies, but ill get it done, then as soon as I find a CF trunk Ill be repainting the roof. there was clear coat peel on the roof/hood/trunk. so after the cf hood and trunk ill just color match the roof and I should be good to go. I would LOVE to do a carbon roof, but in reality its not going to happen to 181. (1630 might get something special though) It would be nice to get a carbon sunroof replacement though.

tomorrow I plan on fixing some more rust, and possibly making an intake pipe. it will most likely be temporary but i need to get my BOV recirc. I might go ahead and do a temp fix on the clear coat as well. but after thats done Ill be back at work finishing up my evo8 ecu adapter. need to remember where my evo MAF wiring has hidden itself.

mountaineerjeff

finally got a second to give her a little attention. timing was way off, cam sensor was out, couple good boost/vac leaks, and wastgate was sticking.

knocked those little things out, and she is running like a beast again. still not fast, as I have to do a tune after I up my fuel system, but def way faster than stock. partly due to upgrades, and part due to the weight ive stripped.

right now, I need an intake, and an exhaust, and she will be street-able again.

GSX_TC

Nice, you bringing this to the Shootout in august?

mountaineerjeff

Well, she is officially back on the priorities list. Been sitting for way too long. Getting parts gathered to get it back on the road. The biggest thing that was holding me up, was the fact that I don't have an exhaust. Well I believe I have found a solution to that, so this thread should be getting a ton of updates from now on.

mountaineerjeff

Got my front subframe in. cant wait to get this back on the road.

mountaineerjeff

Yea, I've had a lot of set backs, but I kept it in the garage, and held out until now, I got a decent job and enough income that I can afford to get all the little loose ends caught up.

mountaineerjeff

Got a chance to take her for a little spin after chasing down a vac leak. Afterward I went ahead and threw the new subframe in. It's pretty awesome.about 10lbs lighter and way beefier. Should really help the handling. Got to take a look at my front caliper which seems to be sticking, but also waiting on my new wheels and lug nuts.

mountaineerjeff

Almost done with her temp attendance of team JSB. Just gonna take a look at a sticky caliper and take it out to see if the new subframe is noticeable. The main reasons were for space and weight so any handling will be a sweet bonus.

mountaineerjeff

Well I got my sticky caliper cleaned up, subframe all retorqued. The results are night and day. The car is fun to drive again.

mountaineerjeff

Started cleaning it up some, so it looks as good as it runs

mountaineerjeff

Needed to fix the faded trim and handles. Along with the clear coat on the roof.

coyotes

what are your plans to fix the roof clear coat? I have some peeling clear coat on my car also... not sure how to fix.

mountaineerjeff

Time to clean up that sunburnt hood.

mountaineerjeff

Hood cleaned up, and the roof sprayed. Looks about as good as it runs now. It's no show car, but it's not a race car either.

mountaineerjeff

Quoting coyotes:
what are your plans to fix the roof clear coat? I have some peeling clear coat on my car also... not sure how to fix.

Sorry, was on a roll and missed you question. I just went the easy route and used Plastidip. If it was a better chasis I'd take the time to take it Down and repaint it. But for this car, and any daily driver on a budget, Plastidip works fine and looks a hundred times better

coyotes

I would just do that too if it was my roof, but my clear coat is peeling on the passenger side rear panel, so plastidip wouldn't match it very well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

mountaineerjeff

2 tone it at the body line. Just run a tape line from the corner light back to the taillights and call it done. Or you could commit and do the whole car.

Took her out for a spin and wasn't getting heat. I was pretty sure I left the heater core intact, but it was possible the hoses were just looped. Well pulled into the garage and it was about half empty. I remembered having a slow leak around the t-stat, so I filled it up, and it instantly poured all over the ground. Found a blown rear freeze plug :-(.

Ran and got a new plug, and that fixed the leak. Waiting on the permetex on my Tatar to dry and I'll take her out again tonight.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned