The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

181/1000 the half-a$$ rally car

mountaineerjeff

no prob. I still have to wait on the pipes to be done so I can coat them s well. Im also thinkin about a spark plug cover, but IDK.

mountaineerjeff

well the ricers here are out of control, so I decides that stuff needed to get a little more serious and chose to go ahead and gut the interior. I pulled the seats again. then started beating all the sound deadening out

mountaineerjeff

some rust repair, then primer.

seat bracket

mountaineerjeff

passenger side cleanup

seats are in for good.

we pretty much got the interior finished for now.I still have some more advanced plans for it down the line, but being broke doesnt help. just need to make a gauge pod and ill be good.

mountaineerjeff

yea they are pretty bad. the guys around here that actually know what they are doing, always go out of town so all the ricers live in this small world where they actually think their garbage is fast.

mountaineerjeff

really hard to get some goo interior shots, but the interior is pretty much done. all weight removed. seats and brackets all done, everything repainted. speakers removed. All I have to do now is mount my gauges. I took out MASSIVE amounts of weight from this car.

the trunk is gutted as well. this is just the first coat after the primer, so it obviously gets better.

we also got the intercooler finished and mounted. also have the oil cooler cleaned and mounted. and the bumper is partially done. more pics tomorrow.

Last edited:

mountaineerjeff

Intercooler is all done. its mounted. tried to show how it was modified from the 1g setup.

mountaineerjeff

I also got the front bumper finished. i think it turned out petty well.

I also got the CAD done on my radio bezel.

mountaineerjeff

i got the front end all tidied up. the bumper is mounted, and the blinkers have been put in, and wired back up. I still have to get the foglights mounted, which fit perfectly even with the large inter-cooler. the grill is also mounted, along with my blacked out tri-diamond.

mountaineerjeff

headed back to the shop, let me know if there are any parts of the build you want better pics of, and ill try and get em in better light.

mountaineerjeff

pretty much got her back to running condition. I need some more light under the hood to get some good pics. the only thing left is my exhaust. on top of just running, I still need to mount my gauges, and switch in my injectors. then I need to find a way to run some bigger 1000+ injectors.

mountaineerjeff

well we went pretty much idle there for a couple weeks, partly due to the holidays, partly due to me giving my jeep some attention, and mostly due to the fact that I lost the stinking keys for it! I got a brand new one made at the dealer for $10. it is SOOOO much nicer then my last one. it doesnt snag or catch, and is of very good quality.

After having the engine bay all back apart, rerouting the harness, doing the intercooler piping, and converting a lot of little things, 181 still started right up. I just hooked up the battery, stuck the key in, and turned it right over. started first try.

she is still sitting at the shop as there are a few things I need to be streetable. Need to get an intake the doesnt interfere with new piping layout, bleed the brakes and clutch, and get the exhaust together, and shell be good to go.

Got to get it up and ready so I can make some sweet snow vids.

mountaineerjeff

so it literally sat for a year....after starting it up, and driving it around a little bit it had a steering issue, so it sat for a while before I could look at it...a helper put the wrong bolt back in the collar on the steering column. fixed that and then it refused to start. well it had fuel, spark, compression but would not run. do to me starting to race the jeep it just got put on the back burner...well I finally got a space cleaned out in the garage, got it moved from where it was in storage, pulled in the garage, and running within 15 minutes. I think it actually sat for a year, purely because of a bad battery. I tightened up some grounds, check the pump, put a "shop battery" in it and she sputtered to life. fixed the vacuum leaks (just hoses that were pulled during diagnosis) and she runs solid again.

took a startup vid, will get some new pics put up later. The project is finally up and going again. while its in the garage I have got to finish the intake and exhaust, and finish the headlight wiring harness, from my partial tuck/me deleting everything. throw on a slim fan and she will be daily-able. then after that I have to finish my evo ecu harness, get my gauges and such working to make it safe to turn the boost up. then its time for pump. then afpr, prolly some HUGE injectors, and then the biggest bolt on turbo I can find.Most likely just a 'sleeper' 20g. I need to keep my piping, and the stock appearance.

Ill also be starting stage 2 of weight loss, and rust repair. with all that said and done (honestly IMO isnt very much) Ill need to find a CF trunk so I can get the car painted before the shootout. I should also have the N2O hooked up before then as well. my only other plan after that will be to put together a spare/second motor with evo internals. Which will only be if I find the limit of 6bolt rods vs a td05+n2o, but that is just for the hopeful future...It would be nice to have the car 1005 complete before the shootout...which as long as I can find the $$$ and a trunk I should be golden.

more pics to come. (cant find usb cord)

GSX_TC

It's coming along nicely =)

DynastyLCD

Quoting mountaineerjeff:
my only other plan after that will be to put together a spare/second motor with evo internals. Which will only be if I find the limit of 6bolt rods vs a td05+n2o, but that is just for the hopeful future.

Evo rods are 7 bolt which wouldn't be compatible, not to mention they are weaker than 1g rods. what would you plan on using for your Evo internal build?

i think you'll find the limits of the piston ring lands before you find the limits of the rods /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

rexwagon1909

Hey man build looks good so far reminds me of my Glaant GSX build, I think mine was a rally car as well lol. Good to see another VR4 in WV. GLW the build

mountaineerjeff

well Im not positive what route im going yet, but Im thinking of running a 99 block, with a full evo 9 rotating assembly, along with cams, and valves. around here we do "road rally" and point-point racing. so the gain from compression and lightweight internals will be much more useful than a slightly stronger rod. the plan is to max out a TDO5 then have a N2O system to push it to the limit of the internals, whenever I need that little extra oomph. like when I run into the unsuspecting gtr, or the like.

I think that is far inside the capabilities of the evo rod, while still giving me a lighter faster revving setup that will be happier when I get closer to 8k rpm. plus I like using OEM components. they seem to have the longest life, plus I can get the parts super cheap. since I do all my own work, Id rather push 500hp out of a 450hp system that cost $100 to replace, than to push 600 hp out of a $5000 motor. one major thing to remember is Im limited to the td05 housing, and this is NOT a drag car, so peak power isnt the goal.

Ive also considered doing a 2.4L as well, but dont know if the TQ will be better, or the revs and RPM of a lighter 2.0l

mountaineerjeff

Quoting rexwagon1909:
Good to see another VR4 in WV. GLW the build

get a hold of me if ya ever head up this way, Ill even sign ya up to join us in a cruise, or maybe you can join our convoy to the shootout.

rexwagon1909

Sweet sounds good man! Fingers Crossed on going to the shootout this year, engine is just about to be built then trans installed etc. And I need to get a truck to tow it lol.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned