The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1722/2000 burn victim rescue

GSXftw

So tonight heres where we are at-
I had to tidy up the bottom end with an oil pan gasket, and to decide whether I could use the crank scraper or not with the main girdle.

It turned out I could use part of it with a little modding. I had to do some trimming, but it will definitely help and be better than nothing.

Then it could hold oil, so I oiled the top end and called it good

It got put away for the time being

so I could go through this 2.3 stroker I picked up. I have never seen a bigger pile of great parts failing so badly! Headstuds were finger tight, as well as knock sensor, oil filter, filter boss, there was an electrical fire, just wow...

On the lighter side of things I did get a good 6 bolt 100mm rotating assembly/block if Im ever not feelin the 2.0

GSXftw

Tonight on unsolved mysteries!!! UPDATE!!! haha tourettes guy reference... So I set myself up for what I like to call a hell weekend...where I have a thousand things to do, and barely enough time to do it. I drove the GVR4 to the shop friday night to start on the next set of upgrades, it took about 3.5 hrs and I had the engine/trans out of the car.

Saturday was 6 hrs to take everything I was using off of engine A and putting it onto engine B. Turbo, sensors, cam gears, accessories, clutch/fw, tstat housing, ofh, time it with evo 9 belt, etc.

Then I had a party to get to so had to cut it short.
Sunday was preparing the car for the changes I had in mind. I deleted AC (since the car ran hot in the summer and couldnt use it anyways) and cruise (didnt work anyways)

All in all it took 12 hrs sunday before it hit the road. I did some solid shift bracket bushings on the trans and any other quick things to improve shifting. Had to redo all of the vacuum lines, tucked them up nice

Even though I packed the oil pump like always, it refused to show oil pressure with cranking. This handy trick and injecting a qt directly into the housing finally got the oil light to go out.

After loading the appropriate tune for it, It fired up around 10pm sunday, after warming up, timing it, and showing no leaks. I hit the road and seated rings under 12psi. The car drove great shifting was much improved (I found a small leak at the slave that was releasing fluid) it was actually much louder with the cams which was surprising. I really need to finish the exhaust on this soon to quiet it down. Ive been tuning it out at the WG pressure and building the new SD table, so far its been going very smooth and its been great! Hoping to pass 500whp on pump and well over 600whp on E85. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

GSXftw

So first off I got tired of this sh*t

So I finished the catback

It got really, really quiet... kinda nice but I may take it off for track days when Im feelin froggy.
Then I was seeing some uneven compression/starting. Compression was 160/160/55/60 and it was all going out the valves, so I pulled the head without really looking into it.

It was due to the lifters being pumped up rock solid.

With the cams backed down they hold great.

I sent the head to check valve installed height, it was on the money at 1.92, I compared a ton of things with a stock head/cams/valves and everything looks fine. The 3G HLAs ride .030 open at the base circle, same as stock, they were cleaned/bled down when they were installed like always so Im pretty clueless. I talked to Kiggly and he said his HLA regulator would not solve this issue, that he had only seen this when the HLAs were bottomed out on a big base circle cam. I put in some 2G HLAs to try those, along with getting a damn oil pressure gauge in the car. I know I shouldve had one just needed to do it. My thoughts at this point on the pumped up HLAs are its either that much oil pressure overcoming the springs, or Im floating valves letting them extend more than base circle. The latter doesnt seem very likely cause even driving to the shop to pull the head the car pulls great, smooth, definitely on all 4. The shady compression numbers and such are just during cranking and idle, after that it smooths right out. I dunno I will monitor oil pressure and go from there.

Did the gauge pod install in the glove box like I wanted. My buddy 3D printed them out

Then I got to work on the next step on the car, a real manifold. I dont know how much itll actually help so just kind of doing it for the data more than anything. First was port matching the flanges

and cutting up these merge collectors

and working the reducers in. **DISCLAIMER, I do not TIG. These tacks are me mocking it up with stainless rod or just fusing without any filler, so my buddy who does TIG can weld them right. I asked if I could just MIG them together and he didnt want it contaminated with anything but stainless. It holds together and thats all Im trying to do here.

The original plan was to run the same 12cm housing, at the same turbo position to save from changing the downpipe or anything, but with hearing people running 18+cm housings and spooling earlier than I am I think I will go ahead and move the turbo out a little, this 12cm barely clears and I did check that a 14cm would hit. My thoughts were people can run the BEP 9cm and hit mid 600s so why wouldnt a 12 be okay, but all the twin scroll guys say I will be restricted. The main reason for wanting to keep the same turbo position, besides less work, is I wanted a back to back dyno test of them! Nobody out there has done one that Ive seen and the results are way too hearsay. We will see how that one works out, I will do my best to get some info out there for the community when I dyno the car, which my buddy really wants me to come and do.
So the status on the car now is I now have 70 miles on the engine running 15 psi and tuning everything in, the car pulls much better in the high RPMs (Ive only taken it to 8k so far) and Im seeing the same 50-70mph times as when I was running 21 psi on the last setup. I feel like if I could get in the mid 20s of boost I could be as fast on pump as I was last year on E85 which would be pretty amazing. Thats all for now thanks for reading.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned