The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

139/1000 Rebuild

1badgvr4

Would you like to make a thread about your garage and some stuff you would recommend other get if they were building something like it?

NateCrisman

Quoting Blown1:
Wish I had the time and space to do such a nice job
looks pretty bad ass so far keep the pics coming.

Im working on it today, hopefully doing some undercoating and getting the rear subframe and diff ready to go in. New pics tonight.

Thankfully, my work situation suits this perfectly. I'm a wedding photographyer, so I make my income on the weekends. The DSMpartout.com thing makes some side cash for vacations and fixing up this car. I spend the rest of my time watching my two boys during the week, playing Mr Mom. Generally get atleast one, sometimes two full days to work in the garage each week from inlaws and grandparents watching the boys.

NateCrisman

Quoting 1badgvr4:
Would you like to make a thread about your garage and some stuff you would recommend other get if they were building something like it?

I can do something like that.

NateCrisman

Today was NOT fun. I degreased and washed the entire underbody in prep for Por15 rust inhibitor paint. The degreaser I used seems to eat skin and turn the underbody coating into drippy slime. This was a suck ass job if there ever was one to do on a car. It's clean enough to lick now, all the black undercoating dries off clean and not sticky.

On a good note, the floor of the garage is spotless now after being squeegied.

The car has to dry tonight and I'm planning to go put a coat on tomorrow afternoon.

Some pics:
553332750_RokZa-L.jpg

553333953_wSttN-L.jpg

I found that my local Napa stocks just about all the Por15 products & $44 for a quart was cheaper than online anyway vs shipping.
553335256_oqqmY-L.jpg

Last edited:

1badgvr4

Quoting NateCrisman:
Quoting 1badgvr4:

I can do something like that.

Thank ya kindly.

NateCrisman

I got the main portion of the underbody coated in Por 15 today, again, a suck nuts job brushing it on. It didn't help that the stuff gets sticky just about instantly as it was raining out and is a major workout to brush.

tomorrow I'm hoping to wash the wheel wells in the morning after removing the front ABS wires and plastic fender liners. Maybe tomorrow night por15 the fender areas and any touchup spots I find.

That's me in the corner.
554133876_X625S-L-0.jpg

TWEAKD4

Great work. I wish I had the time to do something like that to mine.

things coming along great, keep up the great work man /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

NateCrisman

Got some time to break things down today and clean up a bit. I had the whole rear subframe & rear assemblies from both GVR4s in the garage as well as the front suspension assembly from 139 to take apart. So they all got torn down, the good parts in one pile and the rusty junk went into my monster pile of scrap steel.

Then I had 4 big coffee cans of bolts and all the control arms, axles, diffs, one subframe and misc stuff to degrease and wash. That rear subframe from 931 was not really rusty, but holy crap it was disgusting from a leaky rear diff pinion seal.

So still getting parts cleaned and ready for another major POR painting. Now that the unibody is spotless clean underneith, everything that gets bolted to it must be the same: brand new or fresh cleaned.

I think when I'm done, this is going to end up to nice to daily drive or take out in the snow/salt.

turbowop

Quote:
I think when I'm done, this is going to end up to nice to daily drive or take out in the snow/salt.

Exactly the reason I quit driving mine on anything but nice sunny days.

NateCrisman

Picked up a new addition for #139. It's painted, has some greasy fingerprints, but hasn't been installed or used. A decision needs to be made:

[*]Strip and polish?
[*]Scuff and re-paint?
[*]powdercoated along with a valve cover to match?
[*]what to spray in those 4 empty bungs? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif
[/list]
hrm

Hope the new custom IC pipes Brent@JMF made me a few weeks ago will magically work fine with the lower TB position.

557272103_8AQcW-L.jpg

557275389_oypLy-L.jpg

557273811_jGEZF-L.jpg

557273175_mEDhj-L.jpg

Last edited:

Nate

Quoting turbowop:
Quote:

Exactly the reason I quit driving mine on anything but nice sunny days.

Exactly the reason I'm about to get rid of both of my Galants. Make them too nice, and you don't want to use them.

NateCrisman

Got a bunch of new pics from this week's progress:
Before:
558608323_wxdwf-L.jpg

562160963_a9Vbj-L.jpg

562161217_ZgB3G-L.jpg

After POR-15
Fuel tank top is done...want to cut off the shields that are all rotted before PORing the bottom:
562161893_dRa5S-L.jpg

562162673_DTSid-L.jpg

Ain't gonna rust no more no more
562163568_m48hX-L.jpg

Rear suspension and subframe are done and ready to install
562162211_DPsyJ-L.jpg

562163124_C5QYQ-L.jpg

Next week's PORing to do on front suspension, subframes, brake calipers, and engine mounts.

All this stuff got cleaned today:
562163774_tmefu-L.jpg

OMG the steering subframe had like 2" deep of muck from PS leaks and dirt. Spent over an hour cleaning just that one part. A mess like that gets me contemplating ordering a $86 1.8L manual steering rack instead of a rebuilt $150 DSM PS rack.
Control arms both need new ball joints..oddly enough I'v never pressed in new joints ever! on the to-do list.
562164461_bKsFV-L.jpg

Engine is all apart and on the stand. Pistons are super clean up top without any carbon. Headgasket was perfect. Changing the oil pan, removing B shafts, new Tbelt parts. Porting the head and getting it rebuilt (have an extractor broken off inside a broken exh manifold stud that the machine shop will fix too). HKS cams, JMF intake going on as well. Engine block will get the POR treatment too.
562164678_qFG4g-L.jpg

562160548_mTKp3-L.jpg

562161591_N8Fnm-L.jpg

I'm so up in the air on doing manual steering rack and leaving the swaybars out for weight loss/clutter. Also on poly suspension bushings while the car is apart (mostly to keep the alignment straight at the dragstrip).

Last edited:

NateCrisman

I only got about half the stuff painted today, will do the rest tomorrow morning. Getting very close to starting to finally turn things clockwise.

Shortblock after cleaning:
566917242_HXZ7G-L.jpg

Shortblock after POR:
566922474_yEjUm-L.jpg

Misc chassis stuff cleaned:
566916168_4VGrN-L.jpg

Misc stuff after POR: (missed the swaybar brackets! brakes will need touchup)
566919984_h8mvS-L.jpg

Gas tank after POR. the shields are spot welded to it, ended up removing them with a chisel & hammer. Was a lot of noise and a smacked thumb to save 3lb!
566921159_rJ6hR-L.jpg

Tomorrow painting the front subframe and connectors, the steel parts on the trans, and a bunch of little crap. touchup work on the rest. Then DONE with por15 for a while.

cspetros

NateCrisman,

I'm planning to buy some of this POR15 stuff. In what units (quart/gallon) have you been buying it in, and how far does it go? I would really like to do an underbody and wheel well coating like you've done.

Rock awesome job by the way. I've been following this thread avidly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif.

NateCrisman

I used a whole quart ($45) to do the entire underbody, the wheel wells, the front radiator support and frame rails, rear diff, rear subframe, rear hubs, control arms. I put ALOT of drips on a spotless new concrete floor too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif (I'm too dumb to use a dropcloth)

today I used maybe 1/3 of a pint to do this stuff.

It covers pretty well, it's about the consistency of a laquer house paint? It's thinner than you would expect.

cspetros

Wow. That's pretty great coverage! Does it dry into a solid, enamel-like finish, or is it sort of rubbery? Thanks for the info /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif!

NateCrisman

It dries hard and smooth. People like to call the stuff "liquid powdercoat".

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned