The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1226/2000

coyotes

Had a weird thing happen last night. Drove the car a short distance after it gas been sitting over a week. Was fine at lower rpms , but suddenly stumbled when I tried to rev higher. Idled a little funny, and the CEL came on. After a minute though the problem and the CEL went away. Drove another 10-15 miles with no problem.

Any thoughts? I am going to drive it more to see if it happens again. I have suspected fuel pump is going out, but woukd that throw a CEL? fuel filter has been replaced reasonably recently...

GSTwithPSI

A bad fuel pump wouldn't throw a check engine light.

I had something similar happen. The car would idle like crap, and sounded like a Subaru with any throttle input. The check engine light would come on if this persisted long enough. One of the injector plugs had a crappy connection, and would cut out intermittently. I ended up replacing all the connectors with the pinch type quick disconnect injector plugs, and never saw the problem again. With the car running, just pop the hood and give each injector plug a wiggle. If you have a crappy one, your symptoms will likely reoccur when you wiggle the weak link.

Last edited:

G

Staff member
I know your looking for things to replace, did you ever replace the fuel pump strainer?

coyotes

Not yet. Fuel pump and all that in there is next, probably. Gonna do a walbro and a rewire kit. Then probably shifter and shifter linkage bushings + battery & relocation for my FMIC kit. This is the plans for next month unless anything more important comes up.

Hopefully will get some additional things done to my spare engine also.

Last edited:

coyotes

Washed my VR4 today, looks nice 8) Definitely not perfect, but who cares. I'm thinking about my sticker options for my ski box, any input welcome. I definitely want some of the loveland ones on there and a BCA. I also got a crystal and an Alpental (ski areas) stickers that are going on it for sure, or the back window. I likely will do one sticker on the back window, but one of the vinyl cutout types only. Leaning towards alpental or BCA.

It's a lot of work deciding on stickers when I'm a sticker hater. At least they aren't dumb car scene stickers.

Last edited:

G

Staff member
You sure that thing isn't going to fly off on the hwy?

coyotes

why would it. I've already had it up to 80, no problems and it's perfectly quiet. With it off the bars make a lot of wind noise.

G

Staff member
Just seems like the pressure under it would cause the holders to fail.

coyotes

Naw. I've shaked the sh*t out of it, it doesn't seem to want to move. drove it and double checked the mounting feet, it's all good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

It is quite aerodynamic so I doubt it puts much strain on the feet. I have not noticed much if any drop in MPG as opposed to just driving with the crossbars. It gets great MPG, about 30+ on the highway at 60mph.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts