The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Oil return line gasket on 16g side

Brunoboy

I use rtv and a homemade gasket and it still leaks, I have AN return lines but it never leaked before until I recently had to take the flange off when rebuilding the turbo. How do I seal this leak?

mikus

OEM gasket is pretty thin & fairly rigid, nothing like "gasket by teh foot"

I use a pisscoat of RTV as well but always used OEM there, too prone to leak.

Brunoboy

White ring faces which way? I know for sure I need to get a new one .
-shane

grocery_getter

Most often, your oil leaks are coming from the threads of the bolts because oil wicks out between the threads. Factory uses a sealing washer under the bolt head to handle this issue. Oil still wicks out between the threads but stopped by the sealing washers from actually dripping externally. The special washers are one time use only so they leaks on reuse or when there is nothing used there at all. The trick is to coat the bolt threads in rtv before you put it thru the flange and into the thread in the oil pan. This prevent oil from wicking up the threads. Wait for rtv to cure before contact with oil.

Brunoboy

so you think its the bolts not the gasket? it is true that I did not coat the bolts in RTV.

pauleyman

There are no crush washers on the turbo side, only the pan side. Use an oem gasket, call it good.

BluFalcon

You said you have AN return lines, right? Some of the oil return fitting flanges sold by some companies for the TDO5 CHRA's are the same ones they use for GT30/35 CHRA's. The GT30/35 flanges feature bolt holes with larger openings than the OEM oil return flanges, so getting the lower oil pan flange to seal properly, can be problematic. Even with a new crush seal, oil will still leak past the seal, because of the larger diameter holes in the aftermarket return flanges. I had a chance to make some inserts for my flange when I worked at a machine shop a few months ago, that mostly fixed the problem I was having. I'm not sure if this is the case with all aftermarket oil return flanges, but the ones I have exhibit these problems.

Brunoboy

It only leaks at the turbo, the pan side doesn't leak and hasn't the past 10k.

grocery_getter

The turbo side one shouldn't leak at all.

1. you have a warped flange.
2. the bolts are too long and they bottom out before the flange is properly seated.
3. when you scrape the old gasket material on the turbo side or the flange side, the surfaces aren't completely cleaned or prepped?
4. use the good oem yellow paper gasket.

Turbo side gasket installation should be done without rtv at all. White ring could face either way. Doesn't matter.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned