The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Oil pan replacement advice/top tips?

ktmrider

I pulled the CV axle out ( but left the mid-shaft in and bolted as it can save the seal from damage ). Gives you plenty of room to R&R the pan.

TC slides right out and rests on the ground w/o any problems ( u-joints FTW ). Leaving the DS snout in the TC keeps all the gear oil in place ( unless you want to change ).

On those "shorty" oil pan bolts both times I've done it the heads are smooth ( longer ones have Philips/+ in the bolt head ).

GL, thanks for updating the process for the masses!

ktmrider

Replied.

BTW here is a great snap of the TC and axle shaft(s).

Easy to see the 5 bolts ( note this view is from the rear ) and the two-piece DS axle assembly. BTW the upper axle shaft still has the inner CV joint attached to the mid-shaft ( green part should not be in the black shaft ). Common when peeps cannot separate the two ( mine have all been very easy ).

Last edited:

blacksheep

Thanks, Mike. I am still confused on the whole axle separation in the middle (how the top most axle in pic is split). I will tackle tcase tonight. That pic helps me know which bolts to remove which is AWESOME! Thanks so so much!

ktmrider

Sorry the pic above actually shows how NOT to do it. The green stub part should not still be attached to the black solid shaft. Someone had trouble separating the CV shaft from the mid-shaft ( basically only removed the outer CV joint and left the inner ).

blacksheep

Gotcha - So, it separates after the green stub. That's good to know.

UPDATE: I got the tcase off. It was heavier than expected and came of easier than expected and came down on the ground somewhat hard, but the aluminium etc did not chip, crack or break etc.

I am starting another thread as this evening did not go as planned as I seem to have another issue /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

jepherz

Staff member
I always use a piece of rope to put under the driveshaft and exhaust if I ever need to let them hang. You can pretty easily find other stuff under the car body to tie them up to.

blacksheep

Thanks, Jeff. I took some stiff wire tie and tied downpipe to the front hook. its holding the whole system up. I am pulling the DS out and going to get it rebuilt and balanced locally if possible.

blacksheep

Ok, update on this:

Pulled pan off. Some of the rusted bolts were rounded, but came off. I plan to install the JNZ Allen fastener kit, hope thats cool.

I used a sharp razor blade to clean off the excess gasket. I used brake kleen on a rag to clean up oil and other crap. Does this look good and ready to install the new pan?

Some questions:

1) I assume I lay a thick bead in the middle of the pan and hold it up? Or do I put the hondabond on the block and squeeze pan on to it? OR do I do both?

2) Do i immediately install the bolts? Do I start from middle and work way out? Is there an order? Do I torque it immediately?

Thanks all, I just want to do it right the 1st time! Sorry for asking all these questions!

turbowop

There is a groove in the oil pan to follow. Run a small bead around in that groove and in the inside of the bolt holes, so that it makes one continuous bead around the whole pan. Then carefully put it into place and start threading in the bolts hand tight. Then go around and torque them. I think in the past I just start in the middle and work my way out alternating side to side to keep the pattern fairly even.

blacksheep

Thanks, Wop. I did the best I could. The tube of hondabond did not flow easily, squeezing it sucked. So, my line was all shaky. Anyways, I torqued down to 8 N-M and stuff came out the sides, so hoping there was enough all around.

I then installed the return line how Icee suggested. Double gasket and also used a little hondbond on back end to hold it to the pan and prevent some leakage. Then, I put on the Mobil 1 oil filter.

I am hoping for the best now.

G

Staff member
Looks good, does the jnz kit have 2 short bolts?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned