The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

#613/2000 build thread... now prepping to run 10's and/or sell?

CutlassJim

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
Agreed.

The log should make quick work of deciphering whether that "noise" is legitimate knock or not.

How so? I haven't had my DSMlink open since last summer but doesn't it just show knock sum?

GSTwithPSI

You should be able to look at the conditions under which the knock is occouring and get a idea if it legitimate or not. By examining load, airflow, rpm, and timing advance you should be able to tell. Not to mention, knock you should really be worried about happens in open loop the majority of the time. It shouldn't be too hard to look at a log and put the pieces together.

I'd assume (since I've never actually seen it) false knock caused by noisy lifters would also occur at or near idle. If that's the case, the cause should be pretty obvious.

CutlassJim

I was thinking they came up with some fancy new add-on while I've been playing with 2JZ's.

turbohf

so a lame ass update. but i feel good about what was done, and that's what counts. couple little things bothering me that i can check off the list...still a couple more.

IMG_20150310_180152_zpsuwqjc1of.jpg

4WS sticker... i dont have 4WS sh*t anymore...

IMG_20150310_180545_zpsajarm77e.jpg

GONE!!!

those caps on the back deck are bothering me too... need to replace/paint/something

IMG_20150310_182045_zpsvcscnriy.jpg

didnt even bother to take a pic of this thing on the car. obviously it needed cleaned. but it is also just an ill fitting piece of sh*t 1g DSM shift boot.

so i needed something actually new/not shitty looking, that hopefully fit better...
IMG_20150310_195457_zpsjy4aiqgx.jpg

im a fan of the black with red stitched scheme (maybe a Honda thing? i did use to have an 97 Integra Type-R). and this was cheap on ebay...or amazon. dont remember. like 8bucks though.

i always joked about this...
IMG_20150310_195559_zpslnzuieik.jpg

IMG_20150310_195617_zpsbtcl1ryb.jpg

Spoon Sports/MOMO steering wheel :p mounted on a short hub with quick release. i bought this shortly after i got my Integra because i was pissed i left my last one in the CRX, oh and it was a screaming deal. so i put it in the integra. im currently parting that car down so i put it in beater Civic, but why? i like my Galant more, love the steering wheel, and why not? im sure some Honda guys are gonna hate, but i dont care, they annoy me anyway.

i also fixed my wideband ground. and also put in that new phone mount im sure you can see. wanted my phone in a legit spot to quickly change music...
thats all for now i think.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

turbohf

i tried to click off some pics. only a couple seemed to come out ok...

IMG_20150327_173529_zps9zbt0gmx.jpg

IMG_20150327_173535_zpsahwgqpd1.jpg

im loving it. i havent driven my Civic since i got the Galant aligned. gotta say that at first i was not impressed by the BC coilovers. they where bouncy and pissing me off. ride was firm and seems to corner tight. so i have been twisting some knobs on the coilovers. BC instructions said they are factory set to be nice or whatever. i started by giving them 2 clicks all around. then i think i did another full round at 2 clicks. then the fronts another for good measure. pretty good now. i have had the same work commute for years, and several suspension kits of different cars. hate to admit it but probably liked the Tien RE's on my ITR best, liked my Cusco's i had on several cars (but seemed firmer than Tien's). i have a particular stretch of road that is pretty much junk. its a bridge with lots of expansion joints. think the ITR was the only one that could do 70+ without fear of spinal damage lol. the Galant is good to 70.
not tring to compare BC's to Tien RE/Cusco Zero-2's, but for the money they seem to be doing good for me so far.

anyway, im waiting on money and decisions before buying or doing anything else. i do have a decent list of items coming up.
pretty sure im going to be swapping to FP4 cams.... they are meant for a 2.3/2.4 car, vs the FP2's i have that are for a 2.0
havent decided on an intake yet. i did some messaging with JMF... but still not sure if i want a street or race manifold, or a Magnus?
im still planning on throwing the T4 setup on. want to test it and make sure i like the spool/delivery of power.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

GSTwithPSI

Looking really good man! It's nice to see people making progress on their builds. Uncut bumper + Evo 8 Enkei = nice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

As far as the BCs go, firm ride and tight cornering is better than the alternative I guess. That's just kinda what you get. IMO, the BC coilovers are the best bang for the buck coilover suspension system for our cars. You won't find a new set of coilovers with matched performance under $1,000 bucks anywhere. Even finding a used set of JICs or TIENs (certainly not Hot Bits) in good shape under $1K is pretty much impossible.

FWIW, my JICs ride like complete sh*t even on the softest setting. I had better ride quality on KYB AGXs and H&R springs. The JICs perform marvelously in all performance aspects though, so I can't really pitch a bitch when the Galant doesn't ride like a Cadillac. I guess my point is; of the suspensions systems available for the Galant, the BCs are a pretty good choice taking into consideration price, availability, and performance. I would just try and do my best to ignore the crappy ride...Cuz really that's all you can do.

Far as that T67 goes, it's probably as far from a street turbo as you can get. What are you looking for in regard to spool and power delivery? You looking for a turbo that spools late and moves tons of air up top? If so, you'll probably be happy with the T67. But, I would never bolt that to a car I wanted to spool quickly or be tame out in dem' streets. On numerous occasions, I've heard that turbo described as a "full race" turbo, and I would absolutely agree. I'm pretty sure that's the turbo Andrew (Slugs) is running on his car, so he could vouch for the overall spool characteristics. I guarantee it would be north of 4.5k, even on your 2.4L with a divided housing. You may be able to get it down some with some fancy tuning, adjustable cams, or even nitrous, but overall that thing will spool like a couple senior citizens f***ing. It all comes down to what you want the car to do in the end. Full out track car...Ok, sure, the T67 will move a metric sh*t-ton of air. If you are looking for a streetable VR4 thoooo...I definitely wouldn't bolt on that T67.

slugsgomoo

I drove that exact journal bearing t67 on Andres (grocery_getter) car. Was 2.3 @ 8.8:1, fp3 cam, I think 4300 was 30+ (I drove it on c16). Mine is around 5k on the 2.0

turbohf

Bryan seems to think and keeps telling me that the divided .84 T4 housing is going to spool the T67 quicker than the ported RED.

as far as "full boost at xxxRPM"... i dont know what mine is. my boost gauges is in my glove box because i dont want to see it. it just needs to do it quicker :p lol seems to shoot past 15psi or so like 4500rpms, it does it pretty quick... and im sure you will say to log it or post a log... i tried. and once again, i dont like ECMLink. probably because i dont use it so im not familiar with it. but it (or i) deleted/cleared the log.

maybe im getting old, or something. but im not reving out the car as high as i should and am shorting shifts... might help with my power situation if i held out some more revs lol.

you know if Andre had a open or divided housing? i think it was probably open. if i remember right Bryan bought a new divided housing for this when it put it on his car. but mine and Andre's motor are about the same. i have a 8.8:1 2.4L. with FP2 cams... but will be going up to FP4's hopefully, probably, maybe.

turbohf

sh*t. so radiator sprung a leak...again. probably could just fix it again. but it is looking pretty sorry. needs to be replaced before i get left stranded.

spent last couple hours looking for radiators. really just looks like the VW style one is gonna be what im looking for.

click

slugsgomoo

I think you're going to want an afco... that radiator at least appears to not be twin pass (in fact, it appears to be set up in a way that it's basically useless)...

Andre was running the .84 divided T4 on his car, in fact I am running his hotside. I believe the hotside Bryan had for his was identical though.

I have some pictures here that show how mine fits with the afco & HKS manifold. It's definitely a tight squeeze. What manifold are you planning to run?

EHmotorsports

Andrew I bought one for colins car and thought the same thing. I cut into it and it looks like they have one inside. I still added the piece since i cut into it but i don't think an additional divider will be needed.

turbohf

i have the Magnus T4 manifold. i might try to test fit it next week or 2. not sure how far i want to dig in if im still missing pieces. need to wait till i get paid.

i have pics of it on Bryan's Hyundai, and i found another galant that had one. but they are on my old phone. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

not sure what i want to do on the radiator. rather spend the money on other stuff. but this is an area i would like to spend money on if it is gonna be helpful. i do like the ebay one, as it has a fan switch spot (i dont care if its for a VW, they are easy to get and rewire) and the AFCO does not. but the AFCO has what looks to be a more useable mount.

my math shows that the off brand has less core area than the radiator in my car. the AFCO as more... but does it actually hold more coolant? does it get rid of the heat better? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif my thoughts are that this is a dual pass. will have a better shrouded fan (passat?) to keep turbo heat off the core along with being tucked more up in grill away from turbo. my Galant has no issue dropping temps to the thermostat/176* when its below about 80* outside when rolling. its only issue ever has been sitting. and current setup will stay 200-205 no problem.

i will probably go to the junkyard and get a switch w/plug, and a Passat/whatever dual fan. i remember running one in my GTI way back and it worked well.

slugsgomoo

to be honest I have seen them work as well or slightly better than factory. On my car, it doesn't like sitting in traffic & idling. I think the fan I have combined with not having proper ducting is kind of screwing me a bit (big oil cooler + Spearco 2-216 in front). I'm going to revisit that and see if I can make it work a bit better. The other thing is that while my manifold & hotside are ceramic coated there is a ton of heat radiated & thermal mass there. Getting blankets is at the top of my to-do list right now as a result. Rolling my car has no problem staying 180-190 even doing repeated pulls, however sitting it'll climb from 180-200+ pretty quickly. when I'm sitting I force the fan on full time and run the heater to ensure that it doesn't get too warm. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Evan,

if there's a piece that prevents the coolant from bypassing the core, and forces it to go out & back, I think it's probably fine. On the afco, you can see it welded from the outside. I haven't put a fanswitch in mine, but when I do i will probably put it closer to the top of the radiator so it comes on a bit earlier.

turbohf

i guess i never updated this here...

i patched the radiator, and its back on the road. the civic is just too boring and slow... going to order some parts to throw the T67 on hopefully. just basic stuff to get her around the block to see if the spool is as bad as you guys think... but really just dragging my feet as i dont feel like taking her apart as i enjoy driving her over the Civic. and i dont feel like finding out i need to do something with the radiator (aka spend lots of money). but im not gonna know till i try i guess.

buddy has acquired the FP4 cams for me. ok deal i guess. just need them swapped in along with new lifters i have sitting here. and i should also probably modify this valve cover or at least paint it so i can throw it on with the fresh valvecover gasket when doing the lifters/cams...

FP2's will be forsale once out, if someone wants to lay claim to them... i have put maybe 10k miles on them. dont remember how many where claimed when sold to me. ill ask buddy but i doubt he remembers either. pretty sure it was super low, guy didnt like that they didnt have a super lope to them. lol.

also, he found me a Magnus manifold... $450... kinda wanna hold out for cheaper... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

turbohf

i noticed that my #2 tripmeter (i track fuel and oil if your curious or care) was coming close to 3000...
IMG_20150420_194334_zpswscvnbyi.jpg

OIL CHANGE... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif thats right, i drove my car enough miles to require changing some oil LOL.

yup, maybe the worst build thread update.... maybe.

oh and...
22a28b3f-ce71-4160-8ec1-f484356618f5_zpszkbs2x2z.jpg

i bought a bike carrier. was trying to get a roof rack to be a trendy guy, but didnt work out. so picked this up. works well. yes i did think about putting it on the Civic, but then i might have to ride my ass all the way home at some point. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

and actually, i think i paid more for the bike and carrier than i did for the Civic originally lol.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

turbohf

i bought need cams for her. ForcedPerformace FP4 cams. to replace the FP2's

oh also swapped out my problematic ass lifters.

20150513_130840_zpsm5dixeoo.jpg

20150513_132920_zpsiv2ndho0.jpg

IMG_20150513_203150_zpsi3cdzyrl.jpg

got the new valve cover on... not sure i like 100% the color and how it came out. might redo it again later. or may be lazy and leave it.

IMG_20150513_203053_zpsliucuj17.jpg

ok. so not like same as the old cams, but bigger and better for my setup... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif
old cams liked to pull little over 20"... these seem happy at 15"

maybe ill take a video to get the sound of the lope. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

so far its a million times better. seems way more driveable, no more knock nanny shutting down my fun.... BUT. seems super apparent with 2 people in the car that the 2600 just doesnt have the clamp it use to. its gonna need replaced. it doesnt seem to be smoking out, but it just isnt going. also on the same note, top end is in need of an intake manifold replacement.

twin disc?
SMIM
T67
Brembo calipers

its just money, right?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

turbohf

1991 Galant VR-4 new cams:
click

turbohf

sorry that i havent updated this. truth is i havent updated it because i havent worked on it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif why havent i? im sure i have excuses, but really i have no attention span. she ran great, and didnt want to mess with her. plus:
traded my 1992 Civic 'daily driver' car that i didnt daily, or really drive for a 1966 Chevy II Nova /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bought a pile of sh*t Ranger...then sold it. cuz it was a pile.
put the 1998 Integra back together and sold it the next day /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
realized i had no honest daily (whatever that is), and bought a 2000 Silverado. really happy with this move.
so just to be clear i have: 2000 Silverado, 1991 VR4, and 1966 Nova... hope everyone is up to speed LOL. im pretty excited at my collection.

i got the truck to nice daily status (stereo/comfort stuff) and been driving it. drove the Nova a bunch till a tire bulged, bought new wheels, tires, lowered it and been having issues, so it sits until the Galant is finished. i know i dont make any sense.

IMG_20150718_125046_zpsqc7zuqjq.jpg

IMG_20150619_071949_zpsyvcqb61y.jpg

anyway, Galant:
oh yeah, so i bought this MONTHS ago
IMG_20150530_122716_zps2uiwkspb.jpg

wingless trunk lid...im sure this will sit around forever. also have a 92 grill to match it (gold, no pic i guess). so once i get a carbon fiber or JDM vented hood, i might paint them all and put them on.

IMG_20150718_213654_zpsgqk5d60z.jpg

this thing is just awesome.

IMG_20150905_152337_zpslce6rp8a.jpg

work in progress!

IMG_20150905_152330_zpskxe0oymg.jpg

out with the old. will be for sale btw. need to clean her up.
EVO3 manifold
FP Red, old school, ported
TiAL 38mm
some cool housing i forgot the name of
etc.

IMG_20150905_152425_zpszh2e5l0p.jpg

love this trick... 2 broken studs. about 3 pulled studs. fun times.

IMG_20150914_185949_zpskg1i6clf.jpg

yeah, i did buy a wastegate off ebay. i honestly just am not going to spend 400+ on a Tial MVS whatever. ran lots of Tial's, and i like them, ran cheap china ones and have worked...moving on.

i have test fit pictures with old radiator, but its depressing. so..
IMG_20150914_185925_zpse7exvs38.jpg

IMG_20150914_185932_zpskkz6stib.jpg

IMG_20150914_190040_zpso5winhlx.jpg

i have about 2" from radiator support to the turbo. think i will have enough room once radiator is tucked and fans are on...i hope... wastegate tube is still touching dipstick tube, needs a little more massaging, and the wastegate VBand clamp was touching the PS pump on test fits. so plan was to just hit the clamp with grinder real quick. but i think i will try a shorter belt on the pump first.

thats about it for now. i took a good long stare at her, getting plans. oh and i re-studded the head so the turbo manifold has something to bolt to... waiting on radiator (UPS, so hope to have it before end of year) and fans. need to make oil drain which might be a bitch as it points at the motor mount, and see how close the down pipe that came with it fits. im sure a 4G63 swapped Hyundai and a Galant use the same downpipe right? LOL.

hope she runs before it snows... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

slugsgomoo

my dipstick needed "adjusting" as well to fit everything, but it's relatively flexible if you go slow /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Nice to see some progress, it's a fun turbo, I know Bryan is pretty excited about your car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

turbohf

seems easier to bend than the Honda ones. trick is it needs more bend in the middle.

I know Bryan is. he keeps harassing me to get it done. I sent him pics this morning, surprised I didn't get a response. must be working more than me lol

I can't wait. pretty excited too. need to test for downpipe. radiator still a day or two out.

also still need to buy a smim and throttle body. and SD harness....and clutch. damnit that's why I didn't want to work oh her. this is going to cost a lot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned