The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Another 4ws advice thread

OMFGeofffff

I've read most of the threads on here about blocking off the lines for the 4ws but I have a few questions. I had my car up on a lift because I was redoing the exhaust. While it was in the air I let my friends dad work on the rear steering lines because they started leaking further back towards the rear of the car. From what I understand there are 2 high pressure and 2 low pressure lines? The previous owner said the lines were already blocked off somewhere on the rear diff. I'm wondering if the way my friends dad blocked the 2 high pressure lines was a correct way.

He put some kind of gasket/plug or something where the long metal hardline screws into the lines the curve up into the front power steering rack. How does the fluid run through the system? I'm not really familiar with how EXACTLY the rear wheel steering lines work. Is there anything else I need to block off or should I just say F it and do it the right way by taking out the lines and putting in plugs at the front how every other write up says.

Am I correct on thinking that theres 2 HP and 2 LP lines? Where exactly do the LP lines come from? I know I could of digged deeper down in searching but I like having a more personal advice approach to this. Currently the power steering belt is cut off so there is no fluid is running through it.

CarRacer

There's two lines on the powersteering rack. I deleted mine by removing the two lines, cutting them to about an inch in length, and then welding them shut.

I'm pretty sure the return lines go directly to the power steering resevoir but I'm not 100% on that.

Muskrat

There are 2 high pressure lines that feed from the front steering rack to the rear pump. There are 2 low pressure lines which feed from the rear rack back to the reservior.

You need to block off the 2 high pressure lines (do NOT loop them together. That's a good way to trash your p/s pump).

The two low pressure lines just need to be looped together.

You can do this wherever you want. Most people opt to completely remove the lines to reduce mass and clean up the engine bay/under body.

OMFGeofffff

At the moment I'm not too worried about the looks. Lets say those "gaskets" hold up. I'll be fine to throw a belt on the PS pump? I'll probably loop the lines right at the reservoir and block the ports coming out.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned