The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Back in the DSM world 330/1000

rmontalvo23

After 10 years away from owning a DSM I am back!
I was big in the DSM world back in the mid - late 90s with my own performance shop, doing killer group buy deals that had RRE calling me asking "how are you selling KYB shocks at that price and still making money (bonus points if you remember the name of my website).

Anyhow I always kept my eye out for a GV4R over the past 10 years. I had owned 2 GVR4's when I had my shop and also had a 93 Eclipse and a 95 Talon. Found a deal on #330 that I just couldn't pass up. I recently moved from Fort Lauderdale, FL to San Jose, CA and while searching craigslist on my mobile app I saw "1992 Galant VR4 - needs engine". I immediately call the seller while I was at work "hello, who is this" he said. "This is the guy that is coming to buy your Galant".... Within 2 hours of the call I had the title in hand.

I'm not going to mention how much I paid for the car but suffice to say that the kid did not know what he had.

Anyway, enough with the stories. I'm happy to be back and I've already learned some stuff on this forum that I had forgetten and a ton of new stuff that has developed over the past 10 years. Like using a EVO8 ECU and Suspension on a GVR4, pretty sick.

I've also already been in the Market Place and found some nice deals from a few members on OEM parts I need to get her back into original form.

So here are the first pics of my beauty. She needs a paint job, engine, rear springs (some idiot cut the factory ones), oem radio and oem steering wheel. the interior is flawless, not a single tear in the leather. And all body pieces are intact.

img.php

img.php

img.php

Richard Montalvo
[email protected]
1992 Galant VR4 330/1000

Oh hell, you mentioned that acronym on this board... LOL

Welcome. I had a ~3yr hiatus myself.

Okayplayer

Welcome, I am relatively new too. I have the Evo 8 shock/spring setup and I'm impressed. I plan to go with the Evo 8 ecu as well. Your car looks nicely cared for, good find.

raptorWagon

Welcome! Don't mean to burst your bubble, but GVR4s and DSM don't belong in the same sentence.

rmontalvo23

I realized shortly after posting that "DSM" is a bad word around here. I see the logic behind not liking that acronym but those three letters made a big impact on my early 20's so to me I say it with pride. I know that the VR4 is more prestigious then a regular Eclipse/Talon made in the states so I'll do my best to not call it a DSM /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

rmontalvo23

I don't see any EVO parts going on my Galant, I want to keep it as original as possible.

raptorWagon

It's not so much a bad word, it's just that the average newcomer to the GVR4 world makes that common misconception that the Galants are the same thing as a DSM when they predate DSMs altogether. Plus all 3009 were built in Japan then imported here.

dsm10o0

Welcome to the board man! Where in San Jose are you located? I'm located on the North side, should come to our monthly meets with dsms/vr4s tmrw.

click

BluFalcon

Welcome. My first GVR-4 was a rescue like yours, although mine had the luxury of running, if only barely. Spent a lot of time cleaning and fixing what the previous owners had done to the car, and got it running and looking pretty good. Then I sold it so I could mod my old Talon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Like you said, things have changed in the last 10 years, and there's a lot more options to choose from for mods. I'm sure you'll have fun figuring it all out.

Also, unlike some of the others on here, I don't think DSM is a dirty word. I love GVR-4's, but I still have a soft spot in my head for 1G Talons. If I could find a deal on another clean one, I'd sure as hell would pick it up, parking situation be damned. I know a GVR-4 isn't a "4 Door DSM" like most people assume, but a DSM sure is worth a lot more than just as a source of driveline, engine or 5 lug swap parts for a GVR-4.

Brunoboy

That's the galant that was for sale in alameda isn't it? Original owner and all.

Good to see someone fairly local making a rescue /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

Welcome to the org. So are you still slangin cheap parts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

rmontalvo23

I live right next to the San Jose Caltrain station.
Thanks for the invite. I don't have the care running yet so I'd have to ride my bike over there but I will come check it out as soon as the car is on the road.

rmontalvo23

@BluFalcon, I agree, I also have a soft spot for the talon but for me it's the 2G or honestly if I found a Laser AWD I'd buy it in a heart beat. Those are like the White Unicorn of the DSM world.

rmontalvo23

Quoting brunoboy:
That's the galant that was for sale in alameda isn't it? Original owner and all.

You are correct. I saw it on Craigslist in Alameda and since I work in San Francisco I was 15 minutes away. Locally I was the first person to call the owner so he gave me first dibs. He said he had 2 other people that were wanting to go see it.

rmontalvo23

Quoting Dbossman:
Welcome to the org. So are you still slangin cheap parts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

unfortunately no. I walked away from my shop and closed all my accounts with Webcams, Greddy, KYB and the miami distributors. I wonder if I could get those accounts open again, hmmm.

rmontalvo23

Who do i email with my VIN and plate number so they can add me to the registry?

speedyvr4

lol. I moved from the bay to miami, and you move from miami to san jo. I guess we kept the state to gvr4 ratio intact, the balance of the universe is still intact. welcome to the board. good thing about cali is the roads, try to hit up the niles canyon when you get a chance. bad things, damm smog inspection. good luck on the build, welcome to the boards.Again. I also own a dsm and say it with pride.

dsm10o0

If you need a motor hit me up, I got a running one that's on my galant but was planning to do a swap after I smog my car. And I got the stock vr4 springs if your interested.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned