GalantVR4.org The Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Forum
Galant VR-4 Forums » Galant VR-4 » Technical Discussions » Re: BLUE SMOKE!!!!!!!
Previous thread Next thread

Re: BLUE SMOKE!!!!!!!

Kenny_Kline
belligerent idiot
1370/2000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 829670 posted 09/14/09 08:07 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Eh, I guess I did. Wow that was dumb. That was an uneducated stupid reply I made and after spending the past 2 days searching and reading, I have educated myself on how and what a leak down test exactly does.

Still doesnt change the anything about the point I made.

The decision has been made to sell all GVR4 specific parts, keeping motor and going through it, and putting in a 1G or 2G shell. This thread is over unless you wanna talk football or something

Posts: 789 | From: Seekonk, MA | Member Since: 12/27/07 | IP: (71.233.17.107) | Report this post to a Moderator

turbowop
Hard Snarker
1051/2000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 829676 posted 09/14/09 08:19 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Well, the Seahawks did win, so that's good.

-Mark

A face only a grocery shopper could love.

Posts: 11954 | From: Yakima, WA | Member Since: 04/29/01 | IP: (97.90.49.2) | Report this post to a Moderator

Kenny_Kline
belligerent idiot
1370/2000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 829677 posted 09/14/09 08:23 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Im just glad to see the Bears fail. SEASON OVER!

Im a pats fan...

Posts: 789 | From: Seekonk, MA | Member Since: 12/27/07 | IP: (71.233.17.107) | Report this post to a Moderator

1990ggsxnj
Member ++
1578/2000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 829681 posted 09/14/09 08:30 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Quoting Kenny_Kline:

The decision has been made to sell all GVR4 specific parts, keeping motor and going through it, and putting in a 1G or 2G shell. This thread is over unless you wanna talk football or something

Why? What happened had nothing to do with it being a GVR4. Unless you want something that looks nicer or weighs less.

"Is that Spool Drool? EWW!"
90GGSX Blue-Chesapeake
91GVR4 Nile Black-Sidney (Sid)

Posts: 525 | From: Blackwood, NJ | Member Since: 11/21/08 | IP: (68.44.153.131) | Report this post to a Moderator

Terry Posten
Old Balls
425/1000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 829682 posted 09/14/09 08:36 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Milky white in the oil, or top of the VC and coming out of the vent tube is ALWAYS water in the oil.

Now, here is the bad news. Water in the oil, while running the motor can cause major bearing damage.

Do a pressure test and watch for air bubbles in the radiator.

I would bet that the head never got torqued down correctly. Maybe the correct lube was not used on the threads and BOTH sides of the washer causing a friction issue fooling the torque wrench. Or maybe the head studs were never re-torqued after a heat cycle.

Good luck.

1992 Galant VR4 click
2010 Outlander GT S-AWC Premium w/nav (wife daily)
2010 Jaguar XF Premium Luxury (my daily

Posts: 9009 | From: Davenport, Iowa USA | Member Since: 12/16/03 | IP: (173.27.93.117) | Report this post to a Moderator

Terry Posten
Old Balls
425/1000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 829683 posted 09/14/09 08:37 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
There is another possiblity. Check the head surface and block deck for trueness. You may have bad machine work.

1992 Galant VR4 click
2010 Outlander GT S-AWC Premium w/nav (wife daily)
2010 Jaguar XF Premium Luxury (my daily

Posts: 9009 | From: Davenport, Iowa USA | Member Since: 12/16/03 | IP: (173.27.93.117) | Report this post to a Moderator

Rausch Galant VR4.org Moderator
Rock Star Status

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 829693 posted 09/14/09 09:05 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Quoting Kenny_Kline:

So I redid the entire compression test. Operating temp, performed a dry test and a wet test.

Dry Test results:
Cyl#4 75psi
Cyl#3 75psi
Cyl#2 160psi
Cyl#1 175psi

Wet test results: (with cap full of oil)
Cyl#4 90psi
Cyl#3 95psi
Cyl#2 175psi
Cyl#1 205psi

I am getting a white milky residue coming out of the valve cover vent tube. Def oil in the mix but its white and runny.

Still think only a head gasket or is it possible I have ring damage? I am getting a 15-25psi increase with oil

You have a leak between these two cylinders. That part is guaranteed a head gasket breach. The question now becomes why. Machining? Assembly? Bad gasket? Other?

Most likely you sort that out and you'll see things start to improve. You very well may have another issue as a result, but That is issue #1, and should definitely clue you in to what else is happening. They PCV and vent running into each other with no actual outlet doesn't help either. You may find the head gasket open to an oil passage as well, but you need to pull that thing first to find out.

Rance lives here...
Founder of Sold out to BMW Cru, then sold out there too.

Posts: 12049 | From: Cleveland, OH | Member Since: 12/21/04 | IP: (76.189.146.118) | Report this post to a Moderator

prove_it
my racist jokes aren't actually funny
715/1000
1284/2000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 829706 posted 09/14/09 09:33 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Ok Kenny,

I am a certified auto tech who has been working on every make and model car for about 10 years now. I have worked in two different performance shops and managed a shop for about two years. I am saving and working on starting my own performance shop. There is my creditably. Now this is my opinion and opinion only. Here it goes:

Kenny, sell ALL your tools. Every single one. You have NO idea how to repair a car. NONE. Everything you are ranting about is wrong. ALL wrong. If you do anything you say you are going to do, your only going to make everything worse. What makes me more upset is that your going to say it's the machine shop's fault or that it's a Mitsubishi so it's crap. Blah Blah Blah. It can't be your fault it's all breaking down, no way, it's gotta be something else.

I love kids like you. You make me rich. You try to "fix" your own car all the time, but yet it never works. After about two weeks you'll give up and bring it to a technician like myself and I get to fix it right and get rich off of you.

Face it Kenny, your out of your league. This is too much for you. Your going to end up spending way too much time and money and not get anywhere. You'll just have another problem next week, then you'll be crying about that. Then you'll post all about it and your half assed ways of figuring it out. Then we will all try to help you, and you'll reject the opinions of master technicians, and hobbyists on this site that have been doing this for decades and know more than you can imagine.

But no matter what you think your right. Always do buddy. Either take some advice or shut up.

Everyone on this board who is reading this thread knows what happened to your car. We are trying to tell you, yet all you can do is say "no your wrong" just like a four year old child. Grow up. Take some advice.

Here's what happened: YOU looped your breather lines. First mistake. That created more pressure than your seals and case can handle.
Second, YOU saw a problem, yet continued to run the car for twenty minutes thinking it will go away.... it never does.
Third, you kept trying to run the car. You didn't quit. Like some miracle would fix your car.

SO what happened? When you looped the breathers you built pressure in the crankcase, this pushed oil up your drain pipe from the turbo which blew out the turbo seals and caused the smoke. Once this happened you starved the oil pump of oil for a second which starved the rings of oil. Since you have a new engine and I'm sure you didn't seat the rings properly, the rings then wore out and caused your low compression and more smoke. That's why when you did the wet test your compression jumped up. There you go!

You ruined your rings, you ruined your cylinder walls, you ruined your turbo seals, you blew your engine.
NOT because it's a crappy Mitsubishi, or a crappy machine shop. It's cause your an idiot who looped your breather lines thinking your are an awesome tuner just like in the movies.

My rant is over.
Take your car to a professional and make him(or her) rich.
Goodnight.

#1284/2K NB, Totaled
#715/1K KG, Rebuilding
02 Acura TL daily duty unit

12yr+ Vr4 owner.
Honda/Acura master tech.
Family Guy

Posts: 4201 | From: Sioux Falls, SD | Member Since: 07/04/08 | IP: (96.2.97.168) | Report this post to a Moderator

Kenny_Kline
belligerent idiot
1370/2000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 829712 posted 09/14/09 09:45 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
You live and you learn, thats it. I dont know everything. If I did, I wouldnt be here. I am not selling all my tools and I am not blaiming any work on the machine shop as they didnt do the work to begin with. I will tell you now and you will agree with me that a leak down test will do nothing to help my cause!!!! I know its going to leak into the crankcase... you know it, I know it, the pope knows it. SO why even bother? I have made the decision to pull the motor and rip it down to inspect everything to make sure its still in spec. If everything checks out, I will put in new rings, a new headgasket, and whatever else I think needs to be replaced at the time depending on what is damaged. I didnt know looping the lines for 20 seconds would cause this damage. And I was advised by everyone INCLUDING YOURSELF to do a compression test and you being an all mighty master tech should know car has to be at operating temp to perform such a test which requires me to run the car for a while. Not because I wanted the issue to go away or wanted a miracle to come down and bless my car... but because I was doing what "the professionals" such as yourself, told me to do. I dont half ass anything. I replaced every single part in this motor brand new OEM! If something went wrong during assembly or break in, thats different. I do what I do with the best of what I know and ask questions along my way. If you would like, I can just post 400 stupid questions a day, do no diagnosing, and expect the internet to fix my car. Does that work for you? And if everyone on this forum INCLUDING yourself knows what happened to my car then why didnt you state it from the get???

and I qoute "SO what happened? When you looped the breathers you built pressure in the crankcase, this pushed oil up your drain pipe from the turbo which blew out the turbo seals and caused the smoke. Once this happened you starved the oil pump of oil for a second which starved the rings of oil. Since you have a new engine and I'm sure you didn't seat the rings properly, the rings then wore out and caused your low compression and more smoke. That's why when you did the wet test your compression jumped up. There you go!"

That is the first time I have read an explanation on what happened and you know what, it all makes sense. As for the other small petty name calling, sterotyping BS you said, real classy. Maybe one day, we will meet in person and we can pick up this conversation then. Until then, dont sit here and critisize me and talk down to me over the internet. Save it for in person. Or you can call me and have this conversation on the phone 508-367-5023. Dont type on the keyboard like your my superior or that your better than me... thats pathetic!

Kenny @ Dynotech Tuning
[email protected]

Edited by Kenny_Kline (09/14/09 09:54 PM)

turbowop
Hard Snarker
1051/2000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 829721 posted 09/14/09 10:09 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Kenny, you can run a compression test with the motor cold to see if the difference in numbers between cylinders is decent enough to rule out a headgasket. You get higher compression numbers when the motor is at operating temperature, but it would have worked for this purpose. Also, a leakdown test may not have just pumped air into the crankcase. It's possible that it would leak between cylinders instead, which would make the headgasket an obvious problem.

-Mark

A face only a grocery shopper could love.

Posts: 11954 | From: Yakima, WA | Member Since: 04/29/01 | IP: (97.90.49.2) | Report this post to a Moderator

Kenny_Kline
belligerent idiot
1370/2000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 829728 posted 09/14/09 10:26 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Whats done is done and motor is already prepped to be pulled. We already knew headgasket was shot without doing leakdown test and it doesnt matter if it pumped air into the crankcase. When I rip it down, I will probably bring to machine shop and have them go through it real quick. They do amazing work so I am going to leave the assembly in there hands and go for round 2 next year.

ANd I did not know about the cold compression test numbers. Now I do.

Kenny @ Dynotech Tuning
[email protected]

Edited by Kenny_Kline (09/14/09 10:26 PM)

Brianawd
Higher Launch RPM
439/1000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 829797 posted 09/15/09 12:43 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Here is my thing. In all my 11 years of playing with the 4g63t I have never once see it blow a head gasket in the way you think it has. I have see them blow between cylinders and into the coolant ports but never into the oil return ports. So I still will stick by my first post of Bad rings/broke ring lands/Sticking piston. Good luck and don't give up. Shit happens. All the matters is you learn from you mistake so you don't do it again.

1992 Gaylant vr4 #439/1000
11.1at131 562awhp/484awtq
E85 FP3052 parted out
05 EB EVO SSL 11.48at124mph
450awhp/400awtq New 2.3 e85 hks 7460r
05 JEEP liberty CRD DD/ski slut
200hp/385tq

Posts: 2117 | From: Portland OR, | Member Since: 04/18/05 | IP: (32.177.99.41) | Report this post to a Moderator

prove_it
my racist jokes aren't actually funny
715/1000
1284/2000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 829908 posted 09/15/09 11:49 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post   
Number one rule, if it's running like poo Shut it off ASAP! Remember that for life. It will happen again. A leakdown test will help you to figure out the integrety of the hardware. Yes it will leak into the case, but is it from the rings or the gasket. That's what you NEED to know first. You might not see the damage, but it's there. It's like a compression test, do it dry and if you leak a lot then add a lot of oil to seal the rings if you leak a little then your rings are shot, if it still leaks a lot then you have a gasket issue.

You need to know your destination before you start driving somewhere, just going out with no direction will only get you lost.

#1284/2K NB, Totaled
#715/1K KG, Rebuilding
02 Acura TL daily duty unit

12yr+ Vr4 owner.
Honda/Acura master tech.
Family Guy

Posts: 4201 | From: Sioux Falls, SD | Member Since: 07/04/08 | IP: (24.220.12.198) | Report this post to a Moderator

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3
Previous thread Next thread

Extra information
0 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Galant VR4.org Moderator:  curtis, steve, atc250r, jcgalntvr4-244, cheekychimp, jepherz, Rausch, toybreaker, iceman69510, pot, FlyingEagle 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 5736

Rate this thread

News & Events: News | Events
Galant VR-4: Newbies | General VR4 Discussions | Technical Discussions | How To and Info Archive
Marketplace: Parts For Sale | Cars For Sale | Good Guys | Bad Guys
Community: Members' Showcase

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.097 seconds in which 0.044 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page