The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

BLUE SMOKE!!!!!!!

Kenny_Kline

Started it up, all of a sudden, blue smoke everywhere. Coming right out of my exhaust tip. Idles like a subaru w/ cams. Clear misfire. Oil spewwing out of my oil cap like there was to much crank case pressure and thats where it started leaking at. When I removed the oil cap, you could feel the pressure come like an over heating car when you remove a radiaitor cap.

I think either the headgasket is done or possibly valve seals. The motor has about 500 miles on it including new valve seals, rings, headgasket, etc.

Idled for about 10 seconds, started backing it up, seen smoke, shut it down, crank case pressure HIGH!

The oil leak is 100% internal and causing a a misfire and running down through the turbo, out through the tip.

Kenny_Kline

SO I pulled each plug. Every single one is good. Dry, good burn. hmmmm

I think the only real answer to this is to pull the valve cover and do a leak down test. If it starts coming out from the valve seals, there is my answer. If it comes out from anywhere else, more than likely, a head gasket.

Last edited:

turbowop

Leaking valve seals will not cause the car to run on less than 4 cylinders, nor will they show up in a leakdown test.

Last edited:

Kenny_Kline

So what do you think it is? Anythings I can check before I do a leakdown test which wont happen until tommorow?

I pulled the plugs, pulled the fuel pump fuse, cranked it over. Nothing came out of cylinders. Dry inside. That would lead me to think its a bad turbo but because the valve cover vents are putting out alot of pressure, it makes me think what went wrong.

turbowop

Under a leakdown test, air will take the path of least resistance. Air won't creep out the valve seal before it goes out the intake or exhaust. If you hear air coming from the exhaust or intake, it means you have a burned valve. If air comes out the crankcase, it's either leaking past the rings, or you have a hole in the piston. If it leaks between cylinders or into a coolant passage you have a bad headgasket.

I would suspect turbo if the exhaust ports or spark plugs are dry, but that doesn't explain the reason it's running on less than 4 cylinders.

Try a compression test real quick to try and narrow it down, since you already have the spark plugs out.

Last edited:

Brianawd

Broken ring lands/bad rings/ piston trying to stick its self.

Last edited:

Terry Posten

Too much pressure in the crankcase. As far as what could fail, too much pressure at the oil drain on the turbo causing oil to get pumped into the exhaust wheel or comp wheel.

Kenny_Kline

I have a stock return line and a SS feed line from the head. I dont understand. How would that cuase it to run like a subaru (misfire).

I can go out and check whatever. What should I check.

turbowop

Without any tools to do a compression test (which is where you probably want to start with diagnosis), you're a bit limited as to what you can do at the moment.

Terry Posten

I didn't say that it would cause a misfire. But it can cause a major oil issue because the oil can't drain down into the pan. If you slow that oil down coming out of the turbo, it will force it's way past the oil rings in the turbo.

Rausch

Quoting Kenny_Kline:
I have a question. What would happen if you looped the PCV valve to vent tube on the side of the valve cover? What damage would that do?

Um, did you do this? Or were you just speculating.

That would cause all kinds of crank pressure issues.

How did you determine the oil rings are bad? You said the plugs are clean no?

Rausch

Something let go, a seal somewhere most likely....

It's not oil control rings though.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts