GalantVR4.org The Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Forum
NOTICE: This forum is for archiving information and discussions. Please do not reply to threads unless you have valuable information to add. Do not post questions or problems here.

Galant VR-4 Forums » Galant VR-4 » How To and Info Archive » front mount piping
Previous thread Next thread

front mount piping

SearsPointVR4
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 109275 posted 11/16/03 03:27 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Got started on my front mount piping last night, everything is going well. I didn't have to trim much sheet metal so I was happy about that, the turbo outlet was a bit tricky, I had to machine some special 8x1.25mm X 5/15"-24 studs so I could use 5/16" jet nuts on the turbo outlet flange. this worked out pretty well, I can make these studs and supply the nuts if anyone is interested, it makes it much easier if you're making your own outlet pipe. Other than that, all went pretty well, safc2 and my logger showed up yesterday so I'll be getting to that after the IC.... Lots of work to do if I'm gonna make this bay area run on saturday!!!
 -
piping tacked in the car...
 -
piping tacked on the floor.
 -
special stud I machined with 5/16" self locking jetnuts, these nuts are 3/8" wrench size and worked perfectly installed with a 3/8" 1/4 drive universal socket (no, I didn't give myself much room)

| | | IP: (198.81.26.75) | Report this post to a Moderator

SEVEN26
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 109276 posted 11/16/03 08:25 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
man that looks really good. is that 3" pipe... looks huge man. 3" is a little much for 16g or 14b, but man it looks sick!

good work man. how much did it cost you?

| | | IP: (24.233.52.252) | Report this post to a Moderator

Bimmubishi
giant log

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 109277 posted 11/16/03 08:47 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
There are a lot of skilled people on this forum.

Posts: 5702 | From: Boston, Massachusetts | Member Since: 07/15/03 | IP: (24.131.166.28) | Report this post to a Moderator

Duc Hunter
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 109278 posted 11/16/03 10:33 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Just an FYI, you want move "soft" tubing over the exh manifold. This is because the engine moves as you drive and, if you go with to much solid tube the pipes will come loose after a while. It may seem strange but you need it. You also need a fair lengh of it on the run up to the throttle body elbow. Look at the RRE kits, they use silicon tube over the exh maifold for this reason, just like the factory.

| | | IP: (64.81.58.95) | Report this post to a Moderator

SearsPointVR4
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 109279 posted 11/16/03 11:43 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
That's a good point D.H. I didn't give that much thought. If I have problems with it I'll just cut it down a bit and add a longer piece of silicone hose. As for the other ?'s, it's all 2.5 18 gauge mandrel bent tubing except for the transition pieces, those are 16 gauge. All the tubing cost about one hundred dollars not including the couplers.

Tonight I had to do a bunch of laundry and what not so I didn't get to put in as much time in the shop as I wanted, I did get the throttle body elbow made though, I used a piece of 1/2" plate for the flange and after the 90 degree bend  - it steps up to 3" for the GM MAF.
Throttle Body Elbow

Bubb Rubb says: "WOOO WOOO!!"

Minjin
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 109280 posted 11/17/03 12:12 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
I'm not too fond of the huge transition at the compressor outlet, but that throttle body piece is awesome. If you made a bunch of those, they would sell like hotcakes...guarantee it.

Mark

| | | IP: (24.54.214.136) | Report this post to a Moderator

VR6 Eater
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 109281 posted 11/17/03 12:18 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Don't tease us with odds and ends, just start mass producing ic pipes. I would definetly buy some. Those look great.

| | | IP: (24.167.211.35) | Report this post to a Moderator

Duc Hunter
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 109282 posted 11/17/03 12:03 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
I would just do it now. A few of the cars had damage to the turbo mounting bolts, others had their manifold (exh)come loose...... the vibration is just too much. I would hate to see something bad happen to a nice guy like you. The extra few feet of silicon hose on both ends is well worth it.

Just put it in the straight run up to the throttle body elbow and the run over the exh manifold. [Smile]

| | | IP: (205.166.229.106) | Report this post to a Moderator

SEVEN26
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 109283 posted 11/17/03 07:18 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
thats 2.5? damn looks big for some reason. i REALLY like the throttle body ic pipe. GOOD LORD that thing looks good.

how did you manage all that pipe for 100? it looks stainless.. maybe its just the pics or my bad eyes! haha

looking good man

| | | IP: (24.233.52.252) | Report this post to a Moderator

curtis Galant VR4.org Moderator
Space Blanket from NASA plumbed into the attic
475/1000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 109284 posted 11/17/03 10:28 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
I bought a throttle body plate about a year ago from RRE for around 10 or 15 dollars. since almost everyones piping is different this is the best way to go for your application. Mine has an elbow welded on, then a straight piece where the hks bov is welded on. its is angled down and toward the battery. As far as I know they are still selling it, if you order it try to get a 2 1/2 elbow with a long straight piece on one end. One stop shopping.

Posts: 11892 | From: Clarksville TN | Member Since: 05/04/03 | IP: (67.25.34.214) | Report this post to a Moderator

SearsPointVR4
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 109285 posted 11/20/03 12:50 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Okay, it's been slow couple of days here in front mount piping land, had a lot going on outside the garage, but here's whats up. I decided to do all this without moving the battery for the air filter, coincidentally I wanted to run the intercooler piping through the water neck and hose. soulution? modify the waterneck and cut apart some eclipse water hoses! here are the pics, the large piece of tube is tacked in the IC piping to simulate the MAF which just showed up, so the next pics will have that intalled.

-
water hose intalled

-
close up of modified water neck.

Raggedy GVR-4
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 109286 posted 11/20/03 02:23 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Looks Great!!! If your putting those together for sale I will take a set even if it's just rough. I will get it smoothed out and powder coated myself. I don't really want to move my battery. [Smile]

| | | IP: (209.124.134.50) | Report this post to a Moderator

talontsi
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 109287 posted 11/20/03 02:36 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Looks excellent!

If you want to use hard pipe over the exhaust side you can use a hump hose silicone connector.
They provide enough give for engine flex.

| | | IP: (82.35.123.231) | Report this post to a Moderator

spoulson
0 people like this

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 109288 posted 11/20/03 07:27 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
If I wanted to do the same, I'd buy mandrel bends, donuts, etc. Then, what tools did you use for cutting and shaping the pipes?

Posts: 2907 | From: Middletown, DE | Member Since: 02/05/03 | IP: (204.154.71.104) | Report this post to a Moderator

SearsPointVR4
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 109289 posted 11/20/03 02:02 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Thanks for all the comments guys! Well I got my GM MAF today, so here's what it looks like installed, I also installed the BOV flange. To answer the questions about tubing and what not, I used a vertical metal cutting bandsaw to cut the tubes and a vertical bencht top belt sander to do some fine tuning. This is all "perfered" equipment, but you could do it with less. the big thing is really just patience, if you rush the job you're gonna get rushed results. All the tubing and transitions came from Specailty Product Design in Rancho Cordova California,
916 635 8108. They have great service and are very friendly. All the Samco hoses came from Brits in Sonoma California, www.sporthoses.com

-
here it is!

Monstabishi
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 109290 posted 11/20/03 03:29 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Looks very neat mate. Do those GM MAF's work with factory ECU's? If so, where do i get a hand on one of these..

| | | IP: (203.29.209.6) | Report this post to a Moderator

Belize#1692
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 109291 posted 11/20/03 03:59 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
That looks really good man. Hope to see more great projects like this one from ya. [Wink]

| | | IP: (216.148.244.38) | Report this post to a Moderator

bazeng
work in progress

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 109292 posted 11/21/03 04:42 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
just wondering.. how do u use those maf's and what are the benifits?..

im assuming u have engine management.. why not get rid of the air flow meter all together?

Posts: 2520 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Member Since: 02/06/03 | IP: (203.166.63.159) | Report this post to a Moderator

Hertz Galant VR4.org Administrator
OneTitle to rule them all.
77/2000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 109293 posted 11/21/03 06:40 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
quote:
Originally posted by bazeng:

im assuming u have engine management.. why not get rid of the air flow meter all together?

The General Motors MAF can be used in conjunction with a translator that imitates the signals the Mitsu units sent. The benefit is the GM MAF is a million times less restrictive, smaller and readily available.

IF you got of the air flow meter all together you wouldn't be able to drive the vehicle because the ECU would know how much fuel to add without a measure of air.

Posts: 13500 | From: Chicago, IL | Member Since: 07/29/02 | IP: (67.162.75.12) | Report this post to a Moderator

SearsPointVR4
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 109294 posted 11/21/03 09:51 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Okay, finished up the front mount piping tonight, here are some pics. Tomorow I'm going to start on the air intake to the turbo which will be 3" tubing with a vortex style K&N filter element, I'm even toying with the idea of making a fake looking air box so it looks incognito when you open the hood... Maybe I shouldn't think so much.... Anyway, here are the pics

-
after welding before paint....

-
here's a nice little underside shot showing how I got around the driving light. I did weld on a mount after the pic was taken that bolts up to the stock mounting hole with a rubber vibration isolator.

crucible
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 109295 posted 11/22/03 12:26 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Are you teasing us or what? [Smile]
Many of us are dying for upgraded IC piping and dont have welding ability.And you keep posting pics of your work.Either offer a pipe kit for us unfortunate or quit posting pics. [Wink]
Sorry, just jealous!Nice job and great photos by the way.

| | | IP: (67.87.126.26) | Report this post to a Moderator

psycopyro182
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 109296 posted 11/22/03 01:42 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
wow. there really are a bunch of talented people here. you make me jealous.
if you did decide to see those, they would deffinitly sell verry well.

| | | IP: (68.226.184.4) | Report this post to a Moderator

a_santos
Brasileiro Turbinado

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 109297 posted 11/22/03 11:27 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
quote:
Originally posted by bazeng:

What you need to use the GM maf is what is called a MAF Translator.

http://www.ramchargers.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/CategoryDisplay?cgrfnbr=29841&cgmenbr=541&cat1=29839&cat2=29840

They sell for $199. You can also tunr fuels curves and adjust for injector size. And in the near future you will also be able to buy a add on that will adjust timing as well.

People have had great results with this product.

Posts: 2057 | From: San Diego, CA, USA | Member Since: 10/22/02 | IP: (68.41.75.130) | Report this post to a Moderator

SearsPointVR4
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 109298 posted 11/22/03 02:57 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
I've been noticing a trend here about people wanting to buy front mount IC piping... I've been putting some thought towards it and the biggest problems I see with it is the intercooler itself. Everyone seems to be using different intercoolers and usaully modifying them to work. So with that being said we'd have to find someone to manufacture a run of intercoolers with mounting points and outlets. This I imagine would involve having a minimum order. I haven't looked into buying cores and endtanks yet, but to go that route would meant the work load to produce a kit would start to get very high. Another potential problem would be the front bumper structure and cover, the piping that I made is all fairly close tollerance so the mounting of the intercooler is very crucial, the thing I was thinking about for this would be to get a couple front bumpers (the inner structure) and do that on an exchange basis.
Anyway, this little post is starting to get a bit lengthy. If anyone has any input or ideas feel free to post them or to PM me. If anyone is local I'd be more than happy to work with them, I do manage a race prep/restoration/fabrication shop so I have facilities and within the next six months or so I'm going to be opening my own shop, so hopefully with some good ideas and input from other places I might be able to help some people out here with these great cars..

Ford Cook.

Bigfoot
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 109299 posted 11/22/03 04:03 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post   
I'm going to do a stealthy cold air box. I moved the battery to the trunk. I will plug the intake on a stock 1G airbox and cut a hole underneath it, with a matching hole in the body and seal them off. I might run a ram air tube from the hole to the front.

| | | IP: (64.233.106.101) | Report this post to a Moderator

Pages: 1 | 2
Previous thread Next thread

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Galant VR4.org Moderator:  curtis, steve, atc250r, jcgalntvr4-244, cheekychimp, jepherz, Rausch, toybreaker, iceman69510, pot, FlyingEagle 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 7285

Rate this thread

News & Events: News | Events
Galant VR-4: Newbies | General VR4 Discussions | Technical Discussions | How To and Info Archive
Marketplace: Parts For Sale | Cars For Sale | Good Guys | Bad Guys
Community: Members' Showcase

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.058 seconds in which 0.012 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page