The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

front mount piping

Are you teasing us or what?
smile.gif

Many of us are dying for upgraded IC piping and dont have welding ability.And you keep posting pics of your work.Either offer a pipe kit for us unfortunate or quit posting pics.
wink.gif

Sorry, just jealous!Nice job and great photos by the way.

wow. there really are a bunch of talented people here. you make me jealous.
if you did decide to see those, they would deffinitly sell verry well.

I've been noticing a trend here about people wanting to buy front mount IC piping... I've been putting some thought towards it and the biggest problems I see with it is the intercooler itself. Everyone seems to be using different intercoolers and usaully modifying them to work. So with that being said we'd have to find someone to manufacture a run of intercoolers with mounting points and outlets. This I imagine would involve having a minimum order. I haven't looked into buying cores and endtanks yet, but to go that route would meant the work load to produce a kit would start to get very high. Another potential problem would be the front bumper structure and cover, the piping that I made is all fairly close tollerance so the mounting of the intercooler is very crucial, the thing I was thinking about for this would be to get a couple front bumpers (the inner structure) and do that on an exchange basis.
Anyway, this little post is starting to get a bit lengthy. If anyone has any input or ideas feel free to post them or to PM me. If anyone is local I'd be more than happy to work with them, I do manage a race prep/restoration/fabrication shop so I have facilities and within the next six months or so I'm going to be opening my own shop, so hopefully with some good ideas and input from other places I might be able to help some people out here with these great cars..

Ford Cook.

I'm going to do a stealthy cold air box. I moved the battery to the trunk. I will plug the intake on a stock 1G airbox and cut a hole underneath it, with a matching hole in the body and seal them off. I might run a ram air tube from the hole to the front.

a_santos

quote:Originally posted by bazeng:
just wondering.. how do u use those maf's and what are the benifits?..

im assuming u have engine management.. why not get rid of the air flow meter all together?
What you need to use the GM maf is what is called a MAF Translator.

http://www.ramchargers.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/CategoryDisplay?cgrfnbr=29841&cgmenbr=541&cat1=29839&cat2=29840

They sell for $199. You can also tunr fuels curves and adjust for injector size. And in the near future you will also be able to buy a add on that will adjust timing as well.

People have had great results with this product.

Ford, I will buy whatever core that you used for your project and as far as the bumper goes I am using the JDM bumper and mounting so it is not an issue.

Looks great without hacking the core support and maintaining the stock battery position, awesome!!!

Okay,since I didn't get to make the bay area run today I figured I'd make the best of it and I got the piping buttoned up and finished off the air intake for the turbo as well. I still would like to do some sort of air box for the airfilter to make it look a little stealthy, but I still have exhaust and electronics to deal with so that will have to wait a little while.

img.php

img.php

There you have it, now I have to get started on the exhaust, it's going to be much the same operation, 3" mandrel bends with a borla xr-1 muffler. I think I'll start a new thread for that one though.

Well, here it is bumpers on, hoses clamped and presure checked. with super glitchy 3/8" s.s. grill.

img.php

just outta curiosity... if you're running an maft, why not just put a universal cone filter directly on your turbo? that and maybe fabricate some kind of under bumper ducting to feed the said filter? i'm betting the air would be 10 times cooler down by the frame, than up at the stock location...

just a thought.

That is one nice fab job you did there. Impressive.
Now you can get one of the 91 grilles and put some matching SS mesh in there to go with your FMIC cover
wink.gif

Very nice install!

SPVR4, I will be willing to drive up there to get my vr4 fitted with the piping. Can you do it weekends? Or do you prefer weekdays? TIa for any help.

Well, that location might be cooler, but what happens if he hits a puddle? Can you spell hydro lock? If the exh manny was reversed and the turbo was mounted up high, I could see that. Without a splash pan underneath though, you're asking for it unless it becomes a trailer queen to the track and back.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned