The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

parts compatibility on engine build- mostly regarding rod dims

Bimmubishi

I just had an unfortunate epiphany on the way home from work.

I bought a 6 bolt 94mm stroker crank for my new build using a 6 bolt block.

So far so good.

My normal piston supplier has 2g style forged pistons for to accommodate that crank with it's offset wrist pin. I thought I would be tricky and use the above Arias "2g" piston and then get Scat "2g" rods to use with my Eagle 6 bolt stroker crank.

Suddenly I realized I had never compared the big ends from 1g to 2g. Is one wider than the next? Are these aftermarket parts normalized so one works for both in terms of actual rod thickness? I realize the thickness might be an issue.

This is a real cluster*&$# since I already have all the parts.

Sorry for the complicated message.

Alex

Bimmubishi

yes and yes! Thanks.

Scat are the same as eagle only finished in the US thus Eagle measurements would work if anyone has them. I suspect after searching on some other sites that the 2g rod is narrower than the 1g rod so this might not work.

Alex

broxma

So this is the problem. You use the 1g rods on the 6 bolt stroker crank, but they have a 21mm pin end. The 2G rods have the 22mm pin head to properly fit the 2g pistons, but the big end of the 2G pistons is 1mm to narrow. Was just discussing this with Rob at Noribilt not two days ago.

Someone makes the proper rod but I'm not sure who. There is even a rod made with a 23mm pin end for the 6 bolt crank from what Rob says. The rods however are stock length 150mm rods.

/brox

Bimmubishi

Brox, thanks. I solved the problem with our machine shop's help. They are pressing out the wrist pin bushings from my forged 1g rods and then machining them for larger bushings which they will press in to fit the larger 2g wrist pins. Problem $olved.

The final setup will be

6 bolt stroker crank for 2.2
1g rods (Scat forged)
2g style (large pin) Arias pistons with 2.2 offset.

and I can keep my oil squirters....

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned