The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Building a parts list for my motor build...

mitsuturbo

I guess i should look into somehow adding balance shafts to my Veloster engine so it will last longer.
If i ever get a Toyota MR2, i guess i should figure out how to add balance shafts to that engine as well. Have a 420a? Better add balance shafts!
B18c honda? BETTA GET DEM BALANCE SHAFTS, SON!

BENE38A

If worried about premature bearing wear surely a girdle would have a better impact than BS

slugsgomoo

Quoting mitsuturbo:
I guess i should look into somehow adding balance shafts to my Veloster engine so it will last longer.
If i ever get a Toyota MR2, i guess i should figure out how to add balance shafts to that engine as well. Have a 420a? Better add balance shafts!
B18c honda? BETTA GET DEM BALANCE SHAFTS, SON!

Well, my point isn't other engines. It's that there are variants of the 4G63, 4G64, 4G61, etc that didn't come with balance shafts... The fact that the stub shaft & delete parts are all factory stuff should be a tip-off as well. We're not talking about a custom work around here, we're talking about eliminating one factory part with the other factory part because it's unnecessary and worthless.

GSTwithPSI

Here's how balance shafts worked out for me in 1837...

WP_000662.jpg

w0ZjIhjDdEXA5UOBuYXRUxGSZWrq_L8UaRk5MoU4vr0=w736-h552-no

WP_000671.jpg

WP_000672.jpg

The balance shaft bearing sh*t out of the block at high speed, wedged between the crank throw and took out an oil squirter. Somehow, the balance shaft belt didn't take out the timing belt, and even with all the damage seen above the car still ran flawlessly. Personally, I was a proponent for keeping balance shafts, but not after having one fail on me first hand. I wouldn't say they are entirely worthless, but not nearly worth the risk they pose IMO. I know one thing; once you lose a motor to a balance shaft, I guarantee it will be BSEs for you from there on out.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts