The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Factory key replica/replacement?

gramkrakr89

I assume this is the factory key, (with a unique number stamped on the opposite side?)

IMG_20111003_093030.jpg

I used the spare that the PO cut for it until it was broken in a series of unfortunate events...

Been using this key ever since, but it was already worn, and is continuing to wear. I don't really want to destroy it any further, but I would like a key that looks exactly like this to use

Anyone ever tried to get a replacement/replica cut in the same design? Just wondered if anyone would still have these blanks

Terry Posten

Any dealer can make new keys from the VIN number, just go to the dealer parts counter with proof of your car and get it done. I bet the cost is about $20 a key

Diego

I ordered a bunch of blank keys for my car. I bought like 10 for $5.00 off a key site... if you want ONE LMK and I will send it to you for free and you can take it to HomeDepot and have it cut.

Diego

Edit: Here's a few just for you to look at.

Last edited:

Okayplayer

hey Diego, can you hook me up with 2 of those?

Diego

You attending Bandi? If so I might take 1309 or just ride with Bryan in 544, I can get you 2. If not hit me with with a pm.

gramkrakr89

thanks for the info guys (and the offer Diego)

I was just wondering if there were any key blanks of the same design as the original factory one...

Having the dealer cut the key would probably be a better idea, since the original is pretty worn and only works when you fiddle with it in the lock.

steve

While you're at it, don't forget to buy a replica keyfob too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

OMFGeofffff

I had two new keys cut from the dealer over the winter. They don't say "Mitsubishi" on them but look and feel exactly like the factory key. If you want the "Mitsubishi" one the PN is MB543949.

Terry Posten

BTW - any locksmith can use the key code on the side of the factory key and cut you a new one from just the code. Same as the dealer can do.

Using an old, worn out key as the template does not make anything better. Still will be sloppy and will be a pain in all the cylinders.

After I had my keys made by the factory ( thanks Iceman /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif) they worked in every lock, before the trunk lock was very temperamental and the glovebox would not lock.

Now, everything is golden.

gramkrakr89

that's my plan - get a completely fresh cut... was just looking for that exact style blank to go with my future replica #689/1000 key-fob /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

gramkrakr89

sooo clooose... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

eBay

may have to settle as these are the style i want... i was just hoping to find a "MITSUBISHI" blank /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

how much are the replica keyfobs going for...?

Jason G.

Quoting Terry Posten:
Any dealer can make new keys from the VIN number, just go to the dealer parts counter with proof of your car and get it done. I bet the cost is about $20 a key

$10 last time I had to do it. Back in '06 maybe.

Street Surgeon

The key in OP's picture at the top is an OEM valet key , these can still be purchased and are still in stock everywhere. I don't have CAPS at work though so you'll have to dig the part number up on your own.

gramkrakr89

ooooo. so this is the valet key then? - (there is a number stamped on the other side)

darnnit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

EgonOlsen

I considered just getting a set like this

Flip key for ignition and remote for the locking comes with blank keys of your choice and mitsu logos on the remote.always figured it was nice not to wear on the door manual lock.

Or is this considered too Ricer?

Last edited:

gramkrakr89

anybody have a pic of what the OEM master key looks like? (if it's any different than the valet key) I only have a cut copy of the original and it broke a little while ago

fuel

my OEM key has a bigger head than the key above and has a button which lights up a red Mitsubishi symbol. The drivers door handle has a hole in it where I assume there is a receiver. Sadly the system no longer works, it would be cool to have the original system working. Right now I use keyless entry through an aftermarket alarm system.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned