The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Ignition / Door Lock Key

idreamidrive

Since I worked as a mechanic I have been anal about having sharp, not worn down, keys for my car. The reason for this is that a worn key will kill a lock cylinder. I have seen it on too many cars. Going to the dealer to have the key cut to your VIN is usually included in the price of a key, at least for Chrysler/Honda/Ford/GM, but apparently this is not the case down in SoCal? Is this typical for Mitsubishi dealers: Charge you the key price and then $25 to cut the key to the VIN? I understand they need the VIN and proof of ownership, but really and extra charge? If this is really the case, does anybody have a hook up for this?

I actually tried to call a Dodge dealer here to have the key cut to VIN as I have had it done for an Eagle before thinking it might work, but no luck.

G

Staff member
That's why it's called the "stealership".

slugsgomoo

Cutting to the VIN is always expensive, try a non-dealer locksmith, still expensive but might be a bit cheaper. If you have the key code tag, it may be slightly cheaper.

For what it's worth I paid for it once, and then had a bazillion copies made, and I keep the new original in a safe spot.

mitsuturbo

Is a bazillion more than eleventy jillion, or is it less? I need to know how many spares i should have made.

KiNgMaRtY

Try Riverside Mitsubishi. I remember I had one cut by Vin for like $10 5 years ago for a 1g DSM

92_talon_awd

Some dealerships really like to bust heads. I had a key cut for my talon from the VIN a couple of times, think it was about $15 at the old Mitsu dealer before they shut down. My new Mitsu dealer is pretty bad. Bought a clutch fork one time and they wanted like $80 for it. I told them other dealers were selling them for way less and could they do me a solid with a better price. The parts manager told me the msrp is exactly that, suggested. Said they can charge whatever they want and I could go buy it somewhere else. I was floored ha.

Street Surgeon

Quoting idreamidrive:
Since I worked as a mechanic I have been anal about having sharp, not worn down, keys for my car. The reason for this is that a worn key will kill a lock cylinder. I have seen it on too many cars. Going to the dealer to have the key cut to your VIN is usually included in the price of a key, at least for Chrysler/Honda/Ford/GM, but apparently this is not the case down in SoCal? Is this typical for Mitsubishi dealers: Charge you the key price and then $25 to cut the key to the VIN? I understand they need the VIN and proof of ownership, but really and extra charge? If this is really the case, does anybody have a hook up for this?

I actually tried to call a Dodge dealer here to have the key cut to VIN as I have had it done for an Eagle before thinking it might work, but no luck.

My local dealership will both pull your "key code" as well as cut you a non-oem blank for free; if you want an OEM blank, they'll charge you for the key but not the cutting service itself. That being said, it is entirely up to the dealership or guy behind the parts counter. The old mitsu dealership here wanted 25.00 for an OEM key, and another 15 to "laser cut" the key with your key code.... Whatever the f*ck that means. Do you know your key code? If you have the original key it's stamped on there, on a colt/mirage it's located on the passenger side door lock cylinder but I don't know if that holds true with the Galant. If you don't have it you can ask the dealer to give it to you, they'll usually want to see some accompanying ID / proof of ownership with that. Once you have that code (usually the letter E followed by four numerical digits between 5001-7679) you can have any locksmith cut you a key that is as good as what came from the factory.

EDIT>>> Oh, and with the key-code dodge dealerships can cut your key as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Just give 'em the code and say it's for a "MOTHA FUCKIN EAGLE BITCH!"

EDIT #2>>> THE FOLLOWING IS A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: On this forum (particularly the for sale and members rides sections), and on facebook I've seen a disturbing trend of people posting pictures of their keys on the dash, some were even the original set with the key-code stamped right on it!!!! With the code I can have a set of your keys made for free and then have access to your ride whenever I please, with a good pic it takes about 25 mins or less to find the code out and then make a set. These cars are easy enough to steal folks, don't post that sh*t if you care about your car. Sure you might have an alarm and bla-bla-bla but just don't do it. Thanks.

Actually.... They would probably be doing us a favor by taking the car off our hands /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned