The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

What steering racks fit in our cars?

I have GVR4 with not engine in it at the moment... so why not buy a non-4WS rack and put it in.
I tried to use the search function but I have to admit I suck at searching.

So basically what racks work in our cars? 1g? or only from not galants? I am still interested in keeping the PS I think.

kama1

im using a 1g rack.works fine.

EMX5636

Ratio-wise, the FWD Galant, DSM, and VR4 are the same. Dimensions as well. Only plus is not having to block off the ports in the rack for the rear steering lines.

You can also get rid of some clutter in the engine bay by swapping to a 1G DSM Power Steering Reservoir. Gets rid of a couple ports, and is a bit smaller.

toybreaker

iconoclast
I *believe* the automatic transmission equipped cars have a more limited travel/turning circle, as the trans case won't allow for the full lock obtainable with a manual transmission. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
That is true. Cars with the large AT (FWD turbos and AWD) have a shorter rack stroke.

1990ggsxnj

Wow, smaller turbo, less capable injectors, less steering ability..Jeez.

Are there any racks out there that would decrease the turning radius?

Last edited:

Wizardawd

The manual rack does decrease turning radius, but comes at the cost of more turns lock-to-lock and no assist.

Wiz

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned