The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

steering wobble

4doorboost

so yesterday i was driving my car and when i turn hard to the right going at a pretty good pace my steering gets weird. it feels like the tire is moving back and fourth a little kinda like shaking. only does it when i turn hard to the rightany suggestions?

mitsuturbo

Start with the obvious. Make sure your lugnuts are tight. Jack the wheel up and give it a good shake in every direction.

14u2nV

How about the axle nut? that coming loose could do that. Also, look for bulges in the tire.

stealthtt24

To add to the tire comment, try switching the front tires with the rear. If the problem goes away when you turn it might be one of your tires needs replacing.

Struc

Quoting 4doorboost:
your pathetic

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

chucklesas

Could also be the front control arm bushings. Or the control arm itself. Tech brought me out to my car once... with the car off the ground he was able to displace the wheel toward the front and rear of the car. If it's the control arm causing your issues you might be able to get away with just replacing the bushings, but the arm sometimes likes to rust up inside the bushing creating a rough surface that tears up the bushing. In that case you would have to replace the control arm, which I think usually comes with new bushings. Good luck.

4doorboost

thanks ill check it. what do you mean by displace the wheel front and back like physically move the wheel front and back? its just odd because this came out of nowhere. i should prolly just have my whole front end checked out

chucklesas

Yeah, it's just the geometry of how everything comes together. The rear of the front control arm is able to move side-to-side, and due to a lever action, the wheel ends up moving front to back. It doesn't move much, but enough to know something isn't right. My steering wheel would shake, though I don't recall if it was all the time or just during certain maneuvers. I'm not saying this is your problem. Just something else to check out.

4doorboost

so not the control arms, everything is tight and i rotated my tires, but i still have this shake, and the car pulls to the left normaly and a little while braking

14u2nV

Just because it's obvious and nobody mentioned it,, when is the last time you had an alignment? When my cars alignment was out, it shimmied and tried to pull to one side or the other randomly.

*if it does it when braking, maybe your caliper is hanging up. that could cause these symptoms

Last edited:

4doorboost

i agree i def need an alignment i think that would fix the pulling but the shake is only when im turning right and i hit a little bump it just shakes like short and fast little shakes

Way back in the day when I had my Talon it would act up during hard right turns. Turned out that a sway bar bushing and frame bracket was missing on the front right. It probably isn't the case with yours, but worth a look any how.

SouthCaliVR4

based on description of the issue I would be looking at ball joints. if you checked them for play at full droop you may have bound the joint enough to mask any play. jack it up put her on stands, remove the wheel & then jack up the control arm under the ball joint. when you start to lift off the stand check it again, any play & they're done. You may wish to remove the zerk, if equipped, so you don't break it off jacking it up.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned