The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Steering rack problem

I have a pretty bad steering wheel shake when driving down the road, at all speeds. The steering wheel feels loose and I tracked it down to the pinion on the steering gear, which has about a half inch of play (I haven't taken it out yet). I looked on rock auto for a new rack, but they only have an FWD one. JNZtuning has the 4ws rack listed for $1400. I would really like to keep the 4ws, but I can't go for a part that expensive. Are there any alternatives?

Terry Posten

If you must keep the AWS stuff, find someone that is parting out a car, that will be you only cheap option.

But please install new tie rod ends/dust boots on while it is out.

You may even find a place that will rebuild yours if you must have a new rack and keep your AWD stuff.

broxma

The racks are the same. The difference is in the hoses and fittings, not the rack itself. Now that the people who have read my first statement and called BS have gotten over themselves a a bit, here is the picture, proving that to be true.

1g3l6v.jpg

I apologize about the scale. As I said before in my build log, the racks are the same except for the pass through fittings for the PS fluid to head towards the rear of the car. On the Galant AWS rack, the fittings were held in with a banjo bolt while on the FWD rack, like one I am using, they were simply screwed in. If your fittings are in decent shape, you should be able to pick up a junkyard rack and simply swap the fittings. This should only add about 10 minutes to the job you already have at hand.

/brox

SouthCaliVR4

Choice number three, I'm pulling the 4wheel steering out of 825, just bought myself a beater so... My Good 4ws will be available in the next week or two. Front rack, rear rack, rear pump & lines. All known good.

Pm me if your interested.

DR1665

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

That's why he's "Member++"

Sweet, I think I'll go for option three. After doing some pretty good searching for the rack, I can see why people ditch the 4ws. Broxma, if I were to use an FWD rack, is there anywhere I could get new banjo bolts or lines if I needed them?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts