The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Valve Seal Job...

mooserage

Staff member
What's the best way to do this? I am only doing the seals, so should I do the rope trick or just pressurize the chamber with air? Tips, Tricks? Engine will be in the car and I have the tool to compress the springs this way. Also how do you guys get the seals on? Thanks.
-shamus

jepherz

Staff member
I've done two cars with the head still on the engine using the rope technique. Using air may work better, but I felt more comfortable using a solid item that was jammed into the cylinder.

Use a corresponding deep socket to tap the seals on.

Terry Posten

I would not use cheap aftermarket seals, they are not that pricey OEM and that is a job that you don't really want to do again.

Rausch

Quote:
Use a corresponding deep socket to tap the seals on.

+1 Tap lightly, yet firmly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

mooserage

Staff member
Sounds good guys, thanks for the help. As for the rope, are we talking a pretty thin rope? Like 1/8" dia? and do I just push the piston up till it starts to touch the head? Thanks.
-shamus

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned