The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Timing belt turns into a rebuild?

ohmegamike

So, I go to change timing belt, tensioners, water pump etc. The Galant has been spewing out blue smoke at startup, and I figured the valve seals are bad. 194k mi on all original engine. I decided to try replacing the seals with the head still on using either the rope trick, or compressed air. I decided to try air. The cams are set for timing belt change, so all valves are closed. I hook up about 25 psi to cyl 1, and it rolls the crank. When I pull the air fitting, it goes Pshhh! Wow! Cylinder one is tight! So, I try the next hole, I hear air leaking, presumably past the rings, but not a lot. Next, I try cyl #3 and there's air pouring thru the oil return hole in the head, the drain/return hole by the cam sensor.

Cylinder 3 is the only one that has this huge leak. Do you suppose it's a stuck ring?

Is it time to pull the engine and do a complete rebuild?

Any suggestions/input ???

Thanks!

Mike

TRBODSM

I believe that when the cams are lined up there are only certain valves that are fully closed. That's probably why there is air escaping from the cylinder. Let's say that if the cams had the lobes in the same exact position throughout the whole cam and they were lined up then all the valves would be in the same position "closed". But since the lobes are differently placed throughout the cam then some valves would be open and some closed at the same exact position of the cam.

ohmegamike

OK, Good thing I posted this one in Newbies! The valves are not all closed like I was thinking! So, I'm gonna pull the camshafts out, THEN they will all be closed! Then I'll try changing the valve seals. I'm gonna do a rebuild next year, but really sick of the smokey start ups and smell of burning synthetic oil...

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned