The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Installing Valve Stem Seals what's the right way to do this.

Vr4junkie

What's the right way to install valve stem seals I seen a few videos on youtube and there using a regular socket and tapping them in I tried this on a motor that I rebuilt and damaged the seals now it burns oil.

Is there a specific tool to do this or a better way to do this ?

Vr4junkie

I will most likely pull off the head but if I can take off the springs with the head on ill go that route but I haven't been able to find a good spring compressor but ill just use the old c clamp and half cut socket.

Last edited:

Barnes

Quoting 4thStroke:
I used a socket and plenty of motor oil to gently tap them on, not a single issue.

Can you pull them on and off with the socket method? I've seen various tricks like this, but I've been hesitant to go that route. For $75 I'll have the tool that, albeit slowly, I can remove and install my valve seals without issue.

Vr4junkie

I doubt it I had to use a needle noise to remove the seals they felt like they were glued on.

4thStroke

They can be a bitch to pull out, Jon. I used the hooked/circle end needle nose pliers to get at the from below and "lift" them off. I don't think you will have any luck reinstalling used seals, mine were mangled, they are pretty snug on the guides.

I actually used Torco assembly lube when I did mine, not engine oil.

Last edited:

WaRrIoRs16

Quoting Barnes:
The right tool with the cylinder head on the block: http://www.euroexportinc.com/store/tools/mitsubishi-4g63-valve-spring-compressor.html

This tool is awesome. I just used it to do the seals on the wife's spyder and it worked flawlessly. I just used some pliers and grabbed the end of the seal and pulled like hell til they popped off. When puting them back in I just pushed on them with a deep socket. They slide on smooth, then you can kinda feel that last oomph when the are on all the way. Flawless victory in about an hour from beginning to end.

Barnes

Derp. I just realized I was not even answering the OP's question. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif I thought he was talking about getting the valve retainers off to get to the valve seals. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Barnes

There are two tricks people use to hold the valves in place. Either take the spark plug out, and coil a small rope inside the cylinder and bring the cylinder as close to top dead as you can. The rope will press up against the bottom of the valves. The other method involves using a compression tester fitting that you hook to an air compressor to pressurize the cylinder, thus holding the valves in place.

Vr4junkie

So I went to lowes and found this pvc pipe fits nice and tight around the seal might cut it down 4in and fill it with silicon just enough for the seal not to get stuck.

ade

i found a little heat applied to the alu around the seals helps get em out with min fuss.

Vr4junkie

Well heres the tool I ended up making works great compared to the socket fits nice and snug and the inside top has grey rtv to provide cushing when tapping in the seal. Cost to make this was $2.00 5ft pvc pipe(only size they had) $3.00 for Grey rtv and some bolt I had laying around total cost of little over $5 and plenty of rtv left over. Hope this helps give some ideas for those looking to replace there seals and rather use something different than a socket.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned