The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

2.2 or 2.4

I'm going to be boring my 6 bolt 4g63 and dropping a stroker kit into it. Wanted to see if I could get some opinions on if I should bore to a 2.2 or 2.4. Let me know what you guys think.

Rausch

2.3 or wait, mebbe 2.6 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

belize1334

Common stroker option is 2.3. You can stroke a G4CS and get like 2.6(?) but it's less common. I'm not familiar with the 2.2 setup though I have heard it mentioned. There is no overbore option for the 4g63 as you'd very soon run into cylinder wall integrity issues.

Dialcaliper

Your options with the standard block are "2.0L" (standard 88mm crank), "2.3L" (100mm crank) or one of the custom crank "2.2L" (92/94mm crank) or "2.4L" (102mm+ crank) engines. The 2.2L kits will not be cheap, but the choice is out there. Unless you're dead set on blowing at least $3000 on a new stroker kit, a 2.3 is the simplest and most proven option.

The "2.3L" stroker can be built using a factory forged 4G64 crank and off the shelf parts (reuse stock or standard length rods and readily available stroker pistons), and is significantly less expensive as a result. With a used 100mm crank checked by a machine shop, your stock rods and stroker pistons, you can fill your block with spinning things for less than $600-700. (About $1000 if you go for aftermarket rods, and about $400 more will get you a new OEM forged/nitrided crank instead of a used one).

The maximum overbore you can run practically is 0.060" over (1.5mm). The 4G63 block is supposedly capable of between .080 and .088" of overbore before the cylinder walls start to get too thin, but anything over 0.060 is going to require custom slugs.

Unless you're building some kind of insane race-car, the gains to be had by overboring aren't really even noticable. As far as aftermarket stroker kits, You're better off putting the money towards a good turbo and intercooler, or a built transmission to handle the torque from the stroker. I don't know about you, but unless I had gobs and gobs of cash to burn and really really wanted a 2.2L kit, I can think of much better things to do with $2000.

Last edited:

Sounds like 2.3 it is. If I can get rid of the damage that's there from the engine seizing. I bought the car with a rebuilt racing training in it and 22in front mount. Turbo was blown though. I was thinking about just dropping a JDM engine it it. What do you think about that? Waste of time and money?

belize1334

JDM engines are hit and miss. Some people run them forever and others have them fail immediately. Just remember that JDM engines have unknown mileage (no matter what they quote) and have probably been driven hard.

Dialcaliper

^ A JDM engine has maybe a slightly better life expectancy as any other engine you pull from a junkyard depending on where in the country you live, mostly because of (slightly) lower average mileage compared to an American car. It has a chance to have a few interesting parts in it, and costs a lot more. In the end, it's still an unknown engine from a junkyard. If you're fine with that, go for it.

If you're going to go with a stroker and rebuild it, either rebuild your block, or if it's trashed, you can just pull any DOHC 2.0L engine from a 1G 6-bolt DSM (90-92 turbo or nonturbo) if you need a new block for cheap.

Quoting GalantVR4AZ:
Sounds like 2.3 it is. If I can get rid of the damage that's there from the engine seizing. I bought the car with a rebuilt racing training in it and 22in front mount. Turbo was blown though. I was thinking about just dropping a JDM engine it it. What do you think about that? Waste of time and money?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned