The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

PLAY IN THE STEERING WHEEL

Hertz

Staff member
tie rods, balljoints, swaybar endlinks, bushings....

Jack the front of the car up and grab a wheel and start slapping it around to try and locate the slop.

Last edited:

maroonmetallic

Just push the electronic steering to 'sport' mode. Wait, Galant VR4's dont have those.

-Shawn

More than likely that much play is going to be coming from the inner joints on the steering rack (inner tie rods). You need to get the front end up and inspect it.

Quote:
Just push the electronic steering to 'sport' mode. Wait, Galant VR4's dont have those.

-Shawn

+1 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

toybreaker

iconoclast
The rack mount bushings may be toast.

They live a hard life, and often get covered with power steering fluid/atf. This causes them to swell/deteriorate, and then the rack can move on the crossmember.

Have someone move the steering wheel back and forth, and watch the rack for movement on the crossmember.

Only one side is still available new from the dealer. Luckily, it's the one that centers the rack. The other bushing can be built up with a scosche of bicycle handle bar friction tape or whatever you have on hand.

If you do replace the centering bushing, it has a little nub on it that makes it really hard to install. If you would like a few tips on how to replace it p.m. me, or just ask, and I'll post a few tips I've found that make this job easier.

Replacing this bushing improves the steering feel, and makes the car much more stable at speed.

Last edited:

004tsi

Toybreaker, got a part number for the bushing, Sounds like something worth replacing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

toybreaker

iconoclast
My apologies! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Several people have asked me for this information since I posted.

I will try to get the part number, and some pictures today.

I had a few setbacks in my build up over the weekend. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts