The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Steering Rack?

ohmegamike

AFTER I ordered new moog inner tie rods and boots for 140.00, I discovered that I can get an entire rack, with these parts already installed on rock auto for 198.00! The rack I am looking at is a reman for a 91 Eclipse GSX. This will fit correct? (I've already removed and plugged my AWS ports.

The reason I'm thinking my rack needs replaced is, there's play in the ends of the rack (grab the inner tie rods and it goes clunk). There's also quite a bit of leakage from the top side where the steering linkage attaches.

Anybody installed a reman? Doesn't this seem like the better route vs. replacing 140.00 inner rods and boots?

dammitjim

A Fenco rack from Advance Auto Parts is $105 shipped with a $75 core if you use the coupon code VISA.

ohmegamike

Where are you getting that rack for 105.00!?! I just went to their website, it's $265.99 with a 50.00 discount for orders over 150.00 or more. $215.99 after returning the core. I'm looking at Fenco #2156 for a 92' awd eclipse.

dammitjim

Actually the part I posted above says it's for FWD. Maybe that would work since you removed the 4WS? I don't know though.

The AWD rack is ~$250 shipped with code P20. Part RP2352. Sorry about that.

click

Last edited:

ohmegamike

OK...

RP2352 = Reman Power Rack and Pinion Complete Unit; Front; AWD; w/4 Whl. Stg. - Front Unit $314.99 and 155.00 core! So, that's the real GVR4 front rack.

RP2435 = Reman Power Rack and Pinion Complete Unit; Rear; AWD; Rear Unit $179 $60 core
The rear steering rack

RP2188 = Reman Power Rack and Pinion Complete Unit; FWD; DOHC $155.99 $75.00 core

This is the bargain basement rack. I would bet this will work. Anybody else care to add their .02???

My only concern with something like this is will the inner rods be shot in a year? I am right now replacing ALL of the front suspension parts that I replaced in the Spring of 2010. Chinese ball joints, outer tie rods, completely worn out in one year. When you have the choice of the "house brand" sh*t, or Moog, just pay double or triple for the quality parts. I wish I would have...

mikus

You can get RP2352 from Advance Auto, same price, minus 20% off code. I've had problems with exchanging racks purchased by mail, it sucks --- pick up local if you can.

I won't argue against buyinge the good stuff --- but have a hard time believing --everything-- aftermarket for your suspension only lasts a year of normal driving. Markets simply doesn't bear THAT sort of failure rate long term, regardless of pricing. If your driving isn't normal, well....

ohmegamike

I've been searching my ass off. Only car I can find that this RP2188 is listed for is a 1991 Galant GS 4G63 VIN R. I'm assuming a 2.0 non-turbo. I would sure think this would be the right rack for a VR4 w/out AWS! I might just have to be the guinea pig... I hate this! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

raptorWagon

A DSM or regular Galant rack will be fine, you just won't have the connections for the 4WS lines. Where do you think people get their manual racks from? non-turbo 2.0L and 1.8L 1st gen DSMs.

maroonmetallic

In my personal experience, the VR4 has more of a sport-tuned steering. The rack out of a base Galant will probably give you the feeling that you aren't as connected to the road.

I'd probably suggest a DSM rack (power or manual)

Just my $0.02.

-Shawn

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts