The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Steering wheel vibration arounf 60-75

Wolfpuss

Ive been chasing this issue down since I took ownership of GGSX. The car rides smooth (still on stock springs), but vibrates the hell out of the wheel around 65-75 mph

So far I replaced.

Outer tie rods (Inner has no play)
Lower ball joints
New tires
Both passenger and driver side halfshafts

I also had the alignment done at Minekee and the car tracks straight as an arrow.

Any suggestions? Im stumped at the moment /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

highrpm666

Bent wheel? Tires not properly balanced Or a tire that's out of round? Try rotating the tires and recheck first.

I once had a 95 accord given to me because it had a bad vibration. After replacing lots of little parts I ended up having 4 flat spotted tires. Major facepalm.

Wolfpuss

Hmm. I'll try swapping out the wheels this weekend to see if it makes a difference. I forgot to mention that the front brakes are also new (Pads and rotors)

Also, according to my service records from the PO, it looks like he was experiencing the same issues due to new parts about 50k miles ago. Tie rods, halfshafts and struts.

Will update this thread for any progress.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Wonder if you have a bent hub flange? I could see really loose control arm bushings doing that too, yup.
Certain designs of LCA's can give the feeling of the wheel moving severely inline with the car, under braking conditions.
Very freaky feeling when you experience it.
If you jack up the car ( all four corners, support it properly) and spin the wheels, you will know if any wheel appears to be wobbling excessively.
Rims should have weights in and outside lips/weight areas.
If you only have one set of weights, they did not perform a dynamic balance, likely only static.

PolskiVR4

Quoting Wolfpuss:
Hmm. I'll try swapping out the wheels this weekend to see if it makes a difference. I forgot to mention that the front brakes are also new (Pads and rotors)

Also, according to my service records from the PO, it looks like he was experiencing the same issues due to new parts about 50k miles ago. Tie rods, halfshafts and struts.

Will update this thread for any progress.

Are you on stock wheels? If they are aftermarket wheels or from another make/model they might be missing hubcentric rings.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned