The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Keeps eating wheel bearings..

okay i replaced both front wheel bearings and ball joints. Day after that balanced my tires and got an
alignment. 2-3 weeks after (today) did a shake down on my front end and already play in my wheel bearing.
Also new struts and tires all around. it has 17" wheels and lowered 2 1/2". Anyone have a problem like this
or any ideas?
thanks!

prove_it

Those are the usual suspects. Don't just wrench the axle nut on. It has a torque for a reason. Also recheck the torque after a drive.

I've only ever used OEM bearings. Technically there are reboxed ones out there, but buying from the dealer has left me with zero issues.

desant78

JNZ tuning can get you a great deal on them!

manikbastrd

Has the car been in an accident before? If so, you could have a slight frame bend that is causing it

89Patches

Torque those sluts down or else you'll keep eating them. The axle torqued down is what keeps the bearing races together.

Torque to 144-188ft/lbs

SSGdave

Just curious, what is the offset of the wheels you are using?
Are you running very negitave camber?
Also, are you using any wheel spacers?

Ive had and worked on cars with large spacers and lots of negitive camber that would wear front wheel bearings abnormaly fast.

In my case, it was one of my old 1G DSMs. I was running neg 2.5deg and a 15mm spacer. The way I fixed it was a propperly sized wheel.
The only reason I was on the spacers was due to the "flared" bodywork and waiting on the correct wheels to show up. but in 4 weeks, I went through 2 sets of front wheel bearings.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned