The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

easy way of pulling engine

Yao

Can I pull out the engine with tranny together in our cars? anything I should look out for? I've only done tranny and engine separately, never the two together. Yes, I did score the Force engineering engine over the weekend /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:

EHmotorsports

Easiest would be to drop it down and slide it out. I have removed the combo from the top but do not recommend it.

89Mirageman

It can be done and it's not that bad. Be sure to pull the t-case off though.

GSTwithPSI

I always pull the motor from the top. I use a cheap 1 ton Harbor Freight engine hoist and extend the arm as far as it will go. I also use a load leveler, which allows you to easily adjust the position of the motor. I pull the motor and transmission together whenever possible. Make sure you also remove the hood completely. You can pull the motor and trans in a bit over an hour if you have the process down.

slugsgomoo

You mean like this?

DSCN2074.JPG

I can't believe that's almost 9 years ago now, and my buddy there has a wife and kid /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

matt92vr4

I've pulled the combo out of the top of mine twice now (unfortunately). Compared to the 3S it's cake. I don't even take the hood off. My dog tried helped as much as he could but he doesn't have thumbs.

Last edited:

turbohf

i pulled mine out the top, kept hood on (like above, but more green), not too bad... little easier on a Honda, but i have done more of those also.

MellowVR4

I've always removed the engine and trans together from the top... Never really had a problem. I do like having the car at the lowest point of the jack stands, only because if you have it to high then the hoist might not be tall enough.

Yao

Okay, I am attempting to removing from top, now the axles, any way to swing it out of way or just have to remove from the hub?

GSTwithPSI

You can remove the lower ball joint and the 2 bolts that attach the hub to the strut. You can leave the tie rod end attached. Remove those 2 things and the hub will pull away far enough to remove the CV shafts. Don't forget the 2 bolts on the rear of the block (driver side) that secure the jack shaft.

Yao

well, here it is. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Yao

props to you guys without the engine leveler! I couldn't of done this with my 10yr old with out it.

slugsgomoo

Quoting Yao:
props to you guys without the engine leveler! I couldn't of done this with my 10yr old with out it.

The key without the leveler is to get the chain fairly short, and then lock the hoist in at the balance point. If you can get there it's just a matter of wiggling. I've done it by myself a couple times, but then again, practice makes speedy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned