The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Thinking of buying a 2g

VR_IV_MR

I would probably drive it for a few months and then I can swap the automatic transmission over...

I was thinking I could also take the cylinder head.

Do they come with 4 lug or 5 lug? I could also swap the 5 lug.

I assume that I have to get a turbo 2g in order to use the head, correct?

so this would leave me with my gvr4 with a 2g head, 2g auto transmission, 5 lug

should I put the manual transmission and the 1g head in the 2g and sell it as a running car? or would it be wise to just resell the 2g without head/tranny, and then sell my 1g head/tranny separately since I wouldn't have to buy a 2nd kiggly adapter and do all that work. I think I just answered my own question here, lol.

is there anything else worth swapping?

Last edited:

jmorri15

Well a 2g is going to have small intake runners like the cyclone in the closed position, the head studs are 11mm so without drilling out the stud holes it won't just drop on. You'll also need the 2g intake manifold. To make the gvr4 head work on the 2g you'll have to get the block trapped for 12mm head bolts/studs

VR_IV_MR

now that I think about it, I really like the looks of that v3 cast magnus intake manifold and it doesn't fit the 2g head so maybe Ill just stick to the 1g head.

ill just do the 2g auto tranny and the 5 lug and if theres anything else I or anyone can think of...

VR_IV_MR

thats kind of what I was asking /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
No, completely different.

alansupra94

Quoting turbowop:
Does the 2g 5-lug stuff swap over the same?

Nope completely different. I believe this is mainly because the 2G has a double wishbone suspension.

donkeylips

Decent things to use from a 2g are heads(and some parts that go with it), transmissions, exhaust manifolds, o2 housings, power steering pumps, MAS, throttle body elbows. I guess the 450cc injectors and front brakes work but aren't upgrades. I can't think of much else.

VR_IV_MR

thinking of grabbing a built 2G automatic to swap parts over to my gvr4. I am trying to figure out what I will be able to use. I have LOTS of reading and learning to do, as well as tools I need to buy. I basically have no hands-on experience with cars. However, I've been reading heavily on forums since 2005 and feel like I know more then the average mechanic, at least about these cars. I think I will save some parts, sell some parts individually, and then sell the 2g roller with some stuff left in it. if you have any advice please let me know but I am mainly making this thread as a resource for myself (for part numbers and prices specifically) and maybe it will help someone in the future. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

1. transmission swap... want to convert the GVR4 to automatic so I will be taking the transmission, transfer case, and all parts necessary to swap. first will send 2g transmission to IPT and have the works done to it... billet converter, ratchet shifter, TCU, etc.

2. engine head... I think I will hold on to this 2g head so that I can do some back-to-back testing with my 1g head eventually. If the 2g head is built with cams/intake manifold/etc... I will throw it all on the VR4 and hold on to my 1g head for later since my 1g head isn't built with a stock intake mani.

3. turbo setup... On the GVR4 i have a ported e316g and ported 2g manifold. If the 2g has an upgrade from this, I will throw it on the VR4.
I think I should hold on to the 16g just in case i need to break in a new motor one day or the bigger turbo blows.

4. bolt ons... I could use an oil catch can setup, a FPR, FP Gauge, Oil Pressure Gauge, EGT Gauge, fuel injectors larger than 550, speed density sensors, small battery, remote starter, fuel pump better than an evo9, coil on plug, meth injection, slim fans, ebc,

5. rims.. could use a nicer set of rims so this would be a bonus. I am currently 4 lug but if I do a 5lug swap, is it the same lug pattern as the 2g? Will I be able to use the 2g's rims?

this would leave me with the following stuff for sale... do you think any of it is worth saving just in case I may need it? going to update this list over time as I figure out the average going price for this stuff just because I am trying to estimate the cost of this project.

from the 2g:
7 bolt block... I know i won't need this...
roller with suspension, rear lsd, driveshaft, ... won't need... might part out pieces if worth it
fmic setup....should probably sell this separately from chassis

from my vr4:
1g turbotrix recently rebuilt transmission with 4spyder center and evo3 taller 5th gear..
1g transfer case.....
act 2600 w/ streetlite disk....
VR4 short throw shifter....
stock vr4 rims...
aftermarket vr4 rims...

more to come as i think of it and search the answers to my own questions. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned