The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Turn signals, lights out!!

Ok so last night my car started acting up. When I put my right turn signal with my lights on it will shut off all my lights, but not with my left turn signal only right. Any ideas what it could be?
Thanx

kama1

Its got to be the switch.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Could be a shorted bulb that is going straight to ground and pulling all your current.

It's wierd cause if I put the turn signal, like just push it a Lil not all the way the lights won't go off but if I push it all the way up lights go out. All my lights. I'm going to check the lever today. Just figured I ask if someone knew

James

That sounds like a short to me.

raptorWagon

Do your hazards work? before anything, check ALL your fuses, had a blown fuse cause similar symptoms.

Ok so yesterday I checked the car out. First I checked all my fuses had one burnt and two missing replaced them and my radio started working and my check engine light went out. Yeahh!! Then I checked my turn signal relay and replaced it but nothing same problem. So I took the car for a test drive to see if my check engine light would come back on. It didn't but my oil light came on. If I turned right it would go away. If I turned left it would stay on. And driving straight it would just blink. And I had just checked my oil. So I went home and checked my oil sensor, it was unplugged found the wire touching my down pipe. So I fixed it, thought that was my short for the lights but it wasn't still same problem. There's a relay in the engine bay for the headlamps and it clicks when I put the turn signal. So I'm thinking its that, gonna replace to see what happens. Also there's a couple plugs by the fuses under the dash that I have no idea what they are for, but I can't find the mating plugs to them. And the plug that goes on the clutch sensor by the clutch pedal was unplugged so I plugged it but car wouldn't start. I unplugged it and started right up. Don't know why. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you again.

Oh and yes my hazards work fine and the lights do not go out with the hazards.

toybreaker

iconoclast
... sounds a lot like a loose ground /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

raptorWagon

That plug by the clutch pedal may have been the neutral safety switch, if you tried to start the car without pushing the clutch in, then that is why it wouldn't start when you reconnected that plug and did start when you disconnected it.

I plugged it and it did not start with or with out the clutch in. So I unplugged it and it started right up.
Also I know the axels with these cars and 1g Dsm are interchangeable. So my next question is are the tie rods and ball joints etc.. In the front end are they interchangeable with a 1g or are they gvr4 specific??

raptorWagon

Ball joints yes, tie rods I would assume so because the steering racks themselves are interchangeable.

Ok update. Narrowed the light problem down to the light/turn signal/wiper lever assembly. Pick it up yesterday from Tom. Just finished installing and....... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Problem fixed. I'm so happy now. Haven't drove the car in a while cause I work at night. But man part work like a charm. Thank you again Tom /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

GSX_TC

Thanks for posting what the problem was, I was curious to what it would be.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned