The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Turn signal lights problems

Hi, my turn signals don't work and I thought it was a fuse but it isn't. So far, I've only seen one post on this but the solution didn't seem to work when I tried it. I just got another used signal switch but that didn't solve the problem either so it has to be an electrical problem. Anyone else has any other ideas on this problem? Thanks!

usually when the bulbs blow, the signal on the dash should be flashing at a faster rate rite? Well nothing flashes at all when I click the switch, but it does flash when I turn the hazards on. So think that's out of the question. Thanks.

BoostedAWD91

they usually flash really fast when a bulb is blown but i would still check the bulb just
to be certain thats not the problem

We usually don't have problems with turn signals unles they were changed out to the jdm ones. Other than that why overlook the possibly obvious /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

thing is my dash doesn't flash at all when i click the signal switch but the dash does flash when I press the hazard. So it's weird.

prove_it

When in doubt, always replace the cheapest and easiest first. That's why new bulbs make sense. Even if they are good, you'll have new ones in there so they'll last a while, plus you know for SURE they are not the problem. Could be a bad ground for the switch too.

atc250r

Staff member
+1

I've seen them go bad before. I might have one. If you're interested I'll look around for it.

John

I was suspecting that too since the signal/hazard wiring only runs through there. And on top of that, that's all the manual mentions when diagnosing the problem so that's the only thing I can think of. I know you guys mentioned to change my bulbs but all my bulbs flashes fine. It worked fine a couple wks ago until I heard a click while on the road and it just stopped working when I try to signal. Anyhow, I was hoping someone would suggest that so I guess I'll try the flasher relay. I think autozone supplies them for 10 bucks.. So until then, thanks for everyone's replies.

Be sure to let us know how it works out. I've never had any issues with my turn signals other than a bulb going bad.

prove_it

If the flasher was bad then why would the hazards work fine?

When you say flasher, are you referring to the ones in the cluster or the actual flashers on each corner of the car?

atc250r

Staff member
Quoting prove_it:

I don't know if its the same as on the US cars I've had problems like this with in the past, but they all had two flasher units. One for the turn signals and one for the hazards.

John

prove_it

I'm refering to the flasher relay.

Hertz

Staff member
Quoting atc250r:
Quoting prove_it:

I don't know if its the same as on the US cars I've had problems like this with in the past, but they all had two flasher units. One for the turn signals and one for the hazards.

John

+1 There's a separate one for the hazards.

Edit: I guess this is wrong. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Last edited:

prove it is rite. I had that thought too. If my relay was bad then my hazards wouldn't be working either which it is. And as it turns out, old relay is good. New relay didn't change a thing. So maybe my wiring is messed up somewhere. I'll have to dig up that one thread I found and try to diagnose it again when i get the chance. I'm not too sure about the two flasher unit. If I'm not mistaken, the diagram in the manual seems to show only one flasher unit where the hazards switch and the turn signal switch connects to. So yeah, if the relay was bad then the hazards wouldn't be working either. I guess one cheap replacement is out of the list.

Last edited by a moderator:

Quoting prove_it:
I'm refering to the flasher relay.

Sorry Ryan, I was directing that question to the original poster.

toybreaker

iconoclast
There is only one flasher unit installed in these cars, and the hazard and turn signal circuits share it.

The next place to go is the hazard switch.

Check for power in to the switch at the back of the switch (with the key on) at pin #7, (green wire) This is the key feed, and is protected by fuse #10 (10amp in the box by your left knee)

Check for power out of the switch at the back of the switch, (with the key on) at pin #5 (green/orange wire)

If you have power there, go to the flasher relay socket and check for power (key on) in the #2 recess.

[A note on the system operation.]

When the hazrd switch is on, the flasher is fed battery power, and the flasher sends it's signal back to the hazard switch, where it is split and sent out to the corners

With the hazrd switch off, the flasher relay is fed key on power thru the hazard switch from fuse #10, and the flasher sends it's onny/offy signal out to the turnsignal switch, which will then decide which half of the circuit will be toned with the signal.

If the hazrd switch has a bad internal contact, it will not pass the key power thru, resulting in an in-op turn signal circuit, but the hazards will operate normally.

Since the hazard half of the system is still working, it should be a straightforward proccess of finding the break in the circuit.

My bet is a bad hazard switch. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

If you need help troubleshooting this problem further, shoot me a pm, and I'll walk you thru the rest of the proccess.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned